Alt-history writing project

Everything cultural, pop or otherwise. Books, movies, music, comics, poetry, random cultural geekery.
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Alt-history writing project

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

randy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:05 pmI spent 3 years in a joint service assignment where the Navy had a lot of influence. Being in the late 80s I did not see any explicit racial prejudice, especially not in official policy. I was however taken aback a bit at the explicit and casual way a lot of the Navy officers seemed to view enlisted folks the way a Eurotrash aristocrat would view a peasant.
Two data points on that topic: If it please the court, may I introduce (ahem) Leftenant Nathanael Allison, Peeeee Aitch Deeuh.... (if you're hearing an echo of "Wile E. Coyote, Genius," it's almost certainly a complete coincidence :roll: )

Second, Tom Wolfe cited in The Right Stuff a holdover culture of "Eastern Socially Acceptable" in the Navy. Apparently it was particularly desirable to be Episcopalian....
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:48 am Two data points on that topic: If it please the court, may I introduce (ahem) Leftenant Nathanael Allison, Peeeee Aitch Deeuh.... (if you're hearing an echo of "Wile E. Coyote, Genius," it's almost certainly a complete coincidence :roll: )
Seems like some of his concerns are probably valid, even if a few of his generalizations are not.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:36 amSeems like some of his concerns are probably valid, even if a few of his generalizations are not.
Probably so, and a fair observation, but that makes me think of Wolfe's mention/description of "Army Creole" (also from The Right Stuff) with a side order of Lincoln's rejoinder to those (Never-Granters? :mrgreen: ) who wanted him to cashier Grant: "I can't spare this man: he fights."
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:48 am Second, Tom Wolfe cited in The Right Stuff a holdover culture of "Eastern Socially Acceptable" in the Navy. Apparently it was particularly desirable to be Episcopalian....
Is that anything like the culture in the State Dept where only certain people from certain new england old money families seem to rise to the top?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Can’t really say, but I can’t imagine my grandfather (Master Chief) tolerating being treated as a peasant…

Now, admittedly, he joined in ‘41 or ‘42, and stayed in until the Navy decided he was too old in the early 80s…
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Snippet deleted due to upcoming book release March 2, 2022.
Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Captain Wheelgun

Here’s another section. If you’re wondering what the destroyers look like, picture an Independence-class LCS without the stealth features and with working engines and weapons. And if you’re questioning the number & size of the guns, check the specs for the IJN’s Fubuki-class destroyers, built in the 1920’s.

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Getting better all the time. But these snippets are like giving a shot glass of water to a very thirsty man. Too few and never enough. Write faster dangit, and finish the book.
Captain Wheelgun

Last edited by Captain Wheelgun on Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.