Texas, yer drunk

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
blackeagle603

Texas, yer drunk

Post by blackeagle603 »

Texas weather that is.

Came out for a long weekend to scout some property. Did so in rain and sleet Friday. Good fun. Actually loved that -- like to see property/buildings under adverse conditions like that.

Then back to Boerne for the weekend and (we'd hoped) for a run up to Fredicksburg (can you say "National Museum of the Pacific War? There I knew you could).
No joy on that Fredicksburg run. 2 days of ice had 10 and main alternate rural highway either shut completely or extremely.
Woke to nigh on 6" of snow this morning.

Flight from San Antonio canx'd. First resched we could get for the two of us back to San Dog is Wednesday.

Now to top it off Black Rifle Coffee in town wimped out and stayed closed today. le' sigh...
<edit: looks like they close every Monday. Whut? Are they a barber shop or something?>

Well that's thats. Adapt and enjoy. We're cozy in our AirBnB spot so maybe I'll make it to HEB to stock up on some more coffee fixings.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Re: Texas, yer drunk

Post by Weetabix »

Sounds like the whole country is getting pounded. Stay warm, and coffee on!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Whole town is shut down. 'Cept I found a Gas Station stop and rob on the outskirts open and was able to stock up on "health" foods. ;)

good driving snow. About 6" and dry. Packs up nice.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Hit 9 degrees overnight out here in Brazos County (home of Texas A&M).

Power out all over the county. Mine was down for just short of 8.5 hours. And my heat is electric (heat pump.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

We've got kind of the same thing here. The guy who runs the wife's PT for her broken ankle cusses people who wimp out for weather, so her appointment is still on for today. I'll be driving her. She has a PT Cruiser that I don't trust to be able to plow her way, and if it doesn't, she'd be hobbling in -4 and wind chills in the -20's.

The kids call her cane her "crip stick." It has a pretty good rubber foot, but it's not that good. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Langenator wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm Hit 9 degrees overnight out here in Brazos County (home of Texas A&M).

Power out all over the county. Mine was down for just short of 8.5 hours. And my heat is electric (heat pump.)
Funny, you should say... A cabin I looked at outside Bandera had only a wall unit A/C_heater. I looked at that and thought right off. That's not going to do, and immediately started scoping out where to locate a fireplace or woodstove.
Last edited by blackeagle603 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

It also hit 9F here in the People’s Republic of Austin, with many power outages. My power was out until about 2:30 PM local. They’re expecting about the same temperatures tonight.

Where’s my Glueball Warmening, dammit!!!
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Jered

Post by Jered »

<stares in Montana weather>
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jered wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:02 am <stares in Montana weather>
Montana? Try NYC. It's dropped down as low as 12°f overnight this year, and franklly that hasn't been the coldest in the last five years - it hit -5°f one night a couple years ago, and I did the cup of water trick...

In a delicious bit of irony, in the thread on this in GD, all the bellyaching texans are being shat upon from great heights, by the members living in the mid atlantic and New England areas for being a bunch of pussies - serves em right, for them giving the northern members shit over heat waves and Hurricane Sandy("it was only a cat 2" yes dipshits it was, with an unprecedented storm surge that put a third of the city under water)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt