Range Report - Rossi Ranch Hand (.45 Colt)

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Netpackrat

Re: Range Report - Rossi Ranch Hand (.45 Colt)

Post by Netpackrat »

Not just escaping gas, but localized supersonic airflow around a projectile in the transonic range.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Forgot to mention that I chronoed a couple loads out of this on Friday between doing Blackout testing. The first were the 255 grain plated flat points over 6.0 grains of Trail Boss, which averaged just shy of 760 fps. The second were some of my older loads that were originally loaded for my spaghetti western revolver, mainly as a point of reference. Those were a 255 grain LSWC over 8.5 grains of Unique, and they averaged 1073.

Honestly I had hoped for closer to 900 with the Trail Boss loads out of the 12” barrel, but at least they were quiet. I will most likely load up the rest of them the same rather than change powders at this point since I have a big jug if it to use up anyway.

Was pretty happy with the performance of the cast load though. If I were to drop the charge maybe half a grain they would make a decent sub if I wanted to run unjacketed bullets through my can.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Shot this some more today with the new subsonic handloads. Let another shooter try it, which gave me the opportunity to stand a few feet back when it was fired. It is no shit, suppressed .22 quiet...

Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 am Shot this some more today with the new subsonic handloads. Let another shooter try it, which gave me the opportunity to stand a few feet back when it was fired. It is no shit, suppressed .22 quiet...
That is a super cool thing. Oleg has an integrally suppressed semi .22 rifle that is so quiet from 10 feet away all you really hear is the bullet hitting the steel. Getting anywhere close to that with a real caliber is an awesome accomplishment.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The integral 77/44s are like that too, most of the noise on firing is from the firing pin.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

So how did it turn out?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It's pretty awesome.

Jered

Post by Jered »

I'm waiting on a can for my Ruger American in .300 BLK.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.