More ITAR BS

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Weetabix

Re: More ITAR BS

Post by Weetabix »

This part:
e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a pre- threaded muzzle;
sounds like I can't attach Uncle Mike's sling studs to an old .22.

Are they serious?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I daresay some policy wonk in the basement of the White House is rubbing his hands together gleefully. :twisted:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote:
Netpackrat wrote: As correctly stated, this is a big FU to the gun industry, so we can expect it to be interpreted and enforced in the most unfavorable way possible.
You sir are incorrect. This is a big wet kiss to the big part of the gun industry because it raises the cost for the little guy and the big guys have to do this crap anyway.
You're right, I stated that wrong. It's a big FU to the gun culture.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Darrell wrote:I daresay some policy wonk in the basement of the White House is rubbing his hands together gleefully. :twisted:
Or vigorously rubbing something anyway...........
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Apparently this asshole thinks the new order is a great opportunity for (some) gunsmiths to make more money since competition will be driven out of the market:

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/recent- ... ility-gun/

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote:Apparently this asshole thinks the new order is a great opportunity for (some) gunsmiths to make more money since competition will be driven out of the market:

Of course they do. Didn't you see my post above. Established interests always want to use regulations as a stick to beat the competition.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:It's far more than just a nuisance... This will run a lot of folks who do gunsmithing as a side business out of the industry
That's the intended goal, just not for the reasons you mention. Along with the insane inflation of fees(going up from 600 to 2300 over a coupla years) its all designed to reduce the number for people they have to oversee to a manageable level. In other words, they want only deal with a few big players, instead of every tom dick and harry with a Bridgeport and a website. Keep in mind too, that the the 2k fee is the least of the issue, there's also regulatory compliance to deal with, which can cost you a lot more in time and money.

Honestly? I think they should keep the fee as is for actual exports, and change it to 100 bucks for a registration fee for the rest who aren't sending stuff out of the country.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Apparently this asshole thinks the new order is a great opportunity for (some) gunsmiths to make more money since competition will be driven out of the market:

Of course they do. Didn't you see my post above. Established interests always want to use regulations as a stick to beat the competition.
The thing that surprised me was that he came out and said that in public.

HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:

The thing that surprised me was that he came out and said that in public.
I think it was just a case of him pointing out the obvious.

And his clarification is just what I suspected, if you do anything other than repair or cosmetic work, if you do anything that even remotely enhances a gun, you've got to register with itar.

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be a case of unintended consequences, because why bother with a type 1 at this point, get a type 7 ffl, as the batfe is also getting ridiculous with their definition of manufacture, so you might as well be one..

In short, its either gonna make people leave the business, or move up to the next level.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

D5CAV wrote:. . . At which point, if I "resist arrest" you will shoot me. That is how all this unwinds.
And 99% of the people being ignoramuses, you will be right there with accused child molesters in terms of presumption of innocence between raid and sentencing. Your neighbors will say you were such a nice, quiet, helpful guy, they knew you like target shooting, but never imagined you were a criminal, too.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy