Fortify master bedroom door?

The place to talk about personal defense, preparedness, and survival; both armed and unarmed.
Precision

Re: Fortify master bedroom door?

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote:If going to the trouble of taking off sheetrock, adding plywood, and filling with sand, you could make a mold for reinforced concrete blocks sized to fit between the studs. Pour them in the garage, hand cart them into the house, and lay in place when the interior sheetrock is out. Seems like that would be better than sand.
If you're doing my idea of routering a rabbit / dado on the edges of the studs then dropping in the plywood, it would not take much extra work to do one side, then slide some 5x5 metal mesh with spacer rods, then do the same plywood on the other side. You now have a framing for dropping in fiberglass reinforced concrete. Assuming a concrete slab, no weight issues and a damn durable wall that is good to stop anything short of multiple hits with 30-06 AP. Unless they get lucky and hit the 2x4 at a direct angle.

Now you have Reinforced cement protection.

Although, I really think the way to go for suppression / deceleration of incoming rounds through interior doors is to use 1/2" lime rock / marble / granite chips (depending on what is cheap locally) dropped in the space between the layers of plywood. It's cheap, its easy and its fairly self healing.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

If it is only about 3 feet up from the bottom, also earthquake resistant
Precision

Post by Precision »

Yogimus wrote:If it is only about 3 feet up from the bottom, also earthquake resistant
I would put wainscot or just do a paint scheme to mark that height on the inside, so you know where the bullets can be effectively fired out.

Or to be even trickier, do that french alternating stripe pattern on the wall above the wainscot. White being solid, yellow being fire zones. Then do the indented doorway and you have hidden murder slits.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Precision wrote:
Yogimus wrote:If it is only about 3 feet up from the bottom, also earthquake resistant
I would put wainscot or just do a paint scheme to mark that height on the inside, so you know where the bullets can be effectively fired out.

Or to be even trickier, do that french alternating stripe pattern on the wall above the wainscot. White being solid, yellow being fire zones. Then do the indented doorway and you have hidden murder slits.
So you can live in a 1970's McDonald's. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

holy shit, 1970-s McDonalds had murder slits?
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Yogimus wrote:holy shit, 1970-s McDonalds had murder slits?
It was a dangerous time.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Yogimus wrote:holy shit, 1970-s McDonalds had murder slits?
They said "You deserve a break today" and they damn sure intended for you to get it!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Still do all over LA -- outside Colesium and USC for example.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
chem light

Post by chem light »

JAG2955 wrote:
Even with all my nay-saying, I'll say that discussions like these will play a role when I build my final house. Look at pictures of castle gatehouses. My future front door will be inside of a vestibule with a tight 90 degree turn to get to the main door. No room to stack or swing a ram. Murder holes in the walls and ceiling. Heavy studs where high-strength wire with 1/0 treble fish hooks can hang at tac-vest height. Portcullis, moat, and dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you.
And yet you still deny me a Batcave. Just sayin'.
All people suck. Some people try not to.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

blackeagle603 wrote:

Still do all over LA -- outside Colesium and USC for example.
If you can, when you get a chance, take some pics and post 'em here? I'm dying to see this.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt