Yogi reviews: Pacific Rim (pretty fucking lit)

The place for your detailed reviews and reports for guns and gear
Yogimus

Yogi reviews: Pacific Rim (pretty fucking lit)

Post by Yogimus »

Ah, Pacific Rim. A perfect attempt at what it wanted to be. Possibly the greatest Giant Robot movie since "Robot Jox". Did you like "Real Steel"? Well then, you're a fucking idiot, but you will love this. Did you hate real steel because IT MISSED THE FUCKING POINT OF MAKING A MOVIE WITH ROBOTS PUNCHING SHIT? Welcome. I know you were hurt. You're home now....

Below will be MASSIVE spoilers about a cookie cutter plot, so don't look if you care. Me? I don't. There ain't shit in the movie that the previews didn't reveal.

watch this movie in 2D only!!!! 3D post processing absofuckinglutely sucks

>>>>>>>>>>>>NOW ENTERING SPOILER ZONE: PLEASE STEP UP TO THE X-RAY MACHINE FOR FULL BODY SCAN<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Plot: The time is near-future, about 10 years away, to be exact. The world is under attack by giant fucking godzillas, that emerged from the ocean floor. Mankind, working together, creates giant fucking robots. That punch shit straight to fuck. These robots are run via neural interface, (Known as "It's fucking movie magic, quit asking so many god damned questions") that requires two or more operators to sync up, because one operator can't handle the stresses of the experience, and ends up stroking out. (Take THAT, Achilles) The giant robots are being abandoned for other options, and the movie starts with the program getting shut down.

Now for the review proper:

The Bad: it is over two hours long. A LITTLE trimming of the fat would have been beneficial. The dialogue is a bit stereotypical, and the character arcs are absofuckinlutely cookie cutter.

The Good: OHMYGOD THEY GOT THIS MOVIE PERFECT.

Characters/casting:
First, the characters: ABSOLUTELY NO STUPID FUCKING WANNABE TEENIE BOPPER IDOL STARS are cast in this movie. NONE. Out of the entire cast, I recognized THREE stars, and they were perfectly cast. The black guy (Which one? The ONLY one) the scientist, and the mafioso. The main star, the co star, and the supporting cast are all subdued enough as to allow them to become a part of the movie, as opposed to having the movie revolve around them. An example of the opposite of this would be transformers, with Shaia LaFuckyourself, his parents, and every other diseased cockspawn that had anything to do with that film.

Effects/affects:
Do you know what the difference is between "holy fuck that was awesome" and "Holy fuck that looked good"? The way your nonexistent robot affects the environment. The director should be handed the reigns to all other robot movies IMMEDIATELY. When the Effects are on screen, the world REACTS. Shit gets fucked. Shit gets fucked but good. Shit gets fucked so hard, that you think to yourself: "Egads, old chap! That shit got fucked in a manner most agreeable!" On a serious note, this movie's effects are its calling card. The movie is FILLED with real set pieces. Models. Shit for the actors to interact with. The computer generated graphics are not intrusive, obtrusive, or even excessive. The director, able to do anything in the world with ones and zeros, instead to take a very subdued route. NOT ONCE does it feel like you are watching someone play a video game.

Plot
It tries to show you a small story in a big world, and as a whole, succeeds. The dialogue isn't Shakespeare. In fact, it's more along the lines of Robot Jox meets Top Gun, but for a movie of this type, it works. The actors deliver everything in a VERY believable manner. There are a lot of well trodden paths here, but very few cliche's, and it NOT ONCE tries to be "too clever" for its own good.

The World
This is possibly the best science fiction world since bladerunner. Completely immersive and believable. The China sections are gorgeous, and real. People have their motivations, and VERY LITTLE happens for "Because the script said so" reasons. There is a natural progression from one situation to the next. You can totally see yourself "there".

Cinematography
In a movie about giant fucking robots, one would think that there is little in the way of cinematography. You would be wrong...

The fight scenes are well made. You can ALWAYS tell what the hell is happening, unlike Transformers. You CARE what is happening. (Again, unlike transformers) Each fight sequence manages to give you that "HOLY SHIT i AM WATCHING A GIANT ROBOT PUMMEL SHIT TO FUCK!" feeling, and makes you giddy, like a 12 year old. Furthermore, there are certain artsy parts that are so well done, that they have no business being in this film (but they fit perfectly). I list a few below:

1. A little girl amid the wreckage, desperately clinging to one shoe, while giant monsters and robots fight in the background. This makes the word SO FUCKING REAL, that it chokes you up.
2. The introduction of a mob figure, a scene shot so well it belongs in a (good) Bond Film
3. The introduction of the robot, done so well that the robot is REAL in your mind, from that point forward
4. Hong Kong's "chinatown" (would it be "town"?) is better than bladerunner.

this film did EVERYTHING right on the technical side of the house, and did a solid head and shoulders above EVERY OTHER FILM in the "Giant robots fuck shit up" Genre. A MUST SEE to fans of this genre, and a MUST SEE to any and all parents that have boys in the 12 year old + age group.

To summarize, fuck transformers.

Sneak peek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o
Last edited by Yogimus on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aesop

Re: Yogi reviews: Pacific Rim

Post by Aesop »

The cable show "Yogi, A Movie, and A Twelve-pack" will be a raging success.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Aglifter

Re: Yogi reviews: Pacific Rim (pretty fucking lit)

Post by Aglifter »

...and carry an NC-17 rating...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

My fiancee and I saw it while in Flaggstaff over the weekend.

She found a really good chocolate place, and bought some to take into theatre to eat.

We were both so caught up in the movie, completely forgot about the chocolate (something she has never done in any other movie. Nor I).

Completely agree with Yogi. Awesome freaking giant killer robot punching monsters IN THE FACE move!
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

You don't sound drunk. Needs more drunk.

Another review I read said you need to wear muffs. Thoughts?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Actually, alcohol diminishes auditory perception.

Which may go a long way to explaining why you need to be drunk to enjoy a lot of movies lately.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Dub_James

Re: Yogi reviews: Pacific Rim

Post by Dub_James »

Aesop wrote:The cable show "Yogi, A Movie, and A Twelve-pack" will be a raging success.
Hell, "Drunken Master Science Theater 3000"

F. T. W.

8-)
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I saw it today.

They either should have let me get to know a little more of the background of the characters, or avoided the characters entirely and just had giant robots fighting. I love giant robots. Especially when they're fighting. Stuff got smashed, and it was awesome. The Newton's Cradle thing, that was just plain ghey.

The bodycount of this movie is probably only slightly lower than Superman.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Once again, an unforgettable YogReview!
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

JAG2955 wrote:I saw it today.

They either should have let me get to know a little more of the background of the characters, or avoided the characters entirely and just had giant robots fighting. I love giant robots. Especially when they're fighting. Stuff got smashed, and it was awesome. The Newton's Cradle thing, that was just plain ghey.

The bodycount of this movie is probably only slightly lower than Superman.
BUT, would you recommend it to someone else????? And if so, how strongly and any precautions before going in to see it (watch out for the flying popcorn or squirting water from the audience at certain scenes)??
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad