How do you tell if FN Mags are Metric or English

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
BobTheWitch

How do you tell if FN Mags are Metric or English

Post by BobTheWitch »

Bit of a noobish question.
How does one differentiate between Metric and English unit FN mags?

I believe that the FN is English(or standard if you like) but I would like to know how one differentiates.
SeekHer

Re: How do you tell if FN Mags are Metric or English

Post by SeekHer »

The FN that I used in the IDF was for 7.62mm cartridges and I bought some Winchester .308 Win rounds to try in it and had no problems with feeding...

I'd really have to guess on this and I'd say check with Enterprise Arms or D S Arms but I think it would be dependant on whether the gun is marked for .308 or 7.62mm...I really don't think there is or would be any difference in the mags and if there was it would be minute at best...

EDIT
I stand corrected
Last edited by SeekHer on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
gandalf23

Post by gandalf23 »

The Inch pattern mags have a larger locking lug at the front of the mag. If you look at the two side by side it's easy to tell which is which. If you are not looking at one of each side by side, the Metric pattern in kinda curve or thumbnail shaped, the Inch pattern is more like a solid lug.

If you have an Inch rifle, it'll accept Metric mags, but a Metric rifle will not accept Inch mags. So if you're not sure what you have, buy Metric magazines. Mags marked FN should be Metric, as only the Brits and other Commonwealth countries used Inch pattern rifles.
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

The Metric ones in an inch pattern rattle around a bit. But otherwise they work just fine.
GroundPounder

Post by GroundPounder »

Be careful with Century builds- m ine uses a Metric upper on an inch lower, but takes Metric mags. I found this out the hard way when I tried to add a Tapco SAW-style stock. Seems its use of Metric mags despite the Inch lower threw me off.

Nothing a little WECSOG with a drill, a bottle of CLP, and some elbow grease couldn't fix.
BobTheWitch

Post by BobTheWitch »

Thanks all,

The mag I have is Metric, the rifle is in .308.

I will have to shop for Metric Mags, any suggestions at online ordering?
GroundPounder

Post by GroundPounder »

Not sure about other sites, but I love doing business through e-gunparts.com. Numrich has a habit of having my order on my doorstep within a day or so of placing it. I ordered a few Israeli-surplus mags for my FAL from them; they seem alright so far.
tcourtplayer

Post by tcourtplayer »

what they said...when it comes to FAL parts I find DSArms to be a good source of parts. Back when I was first collecting stuff for mine I was able to buy metric used mags (but still in good working condition) for $7 bucks and "excellent" condition used for $12. Additionally, they have the 5 and 10 rounders for those in occupied territory (CA, NJ...) and some 30 rounders just because.
JAG: So why do you need armor piercing ammo?
tcourtplayer: Zombies
JAG: For when they hide behind engine blocks?
tcourtplayer: Just because the movies say they will be dumb and slow doesn't make it true.
JAG: WOW!!!
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

Fal parts and magazines,
http://www.gunthings.com/

Get on their e-mail list for savings and deals. Good guys.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

You might want to check this guys site for some superb eye candy of major drool factor
Vanden Berg Custom

The following all are FN-FAL supply shops:
Arizona Expert Arms
Arizona Response Systems - FAL smithing
Buffer Tech FN/FAL Recoil Buffer
Bushmaster FAL parts,Scope Mount,and Armourer's Tools
Century Int. Re-Manufactured L1A1 and STG58 type rifles
Falcon Ind. Ergo pistol frips
G R S C FAL parts
Northridge Int. - Military surplus, FAL parts
Numrich
Sarco
Tapco - Israeli mags
TNT Armory
What A Country Military surplus, FAL parts
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!