How do you tell if FN Mags are Metric or English

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
BobTheWitch

Re: How do you tell if FN Mags are Metric or English

Post by BobTheWitch »

Excellent <Rubs Hands Together>

Now I just have to convince the missus that spending $100 on magazines for a rifle is a necessary thing :)

Thanks All
ButchS1066

Post by ButchS1066 »

BobTheWitch wrote:Now I just have to convince the missus that spending $100 on magazines for a rifle is a necessary thing :)
Have her price .308 Galil magazines, FAL mags are quite a bargain in comparison. ;)
Life is short, ammo is expendable. Empty the mag.
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

I have one of the Century R1A1 (formerly L1A1 before conversion by the CAM's) rifles. It takes inch mags. AFAIK, it's all inch pattern. I've been seeing a lot of metric mags lately, but no inch ones. So I'll probably be looking at some of these links when I get to a PC with unrestricted internet access. It's good to know I have a fallback if I can't find inch mags.

The only thing that didn't work on mine was the empty mag, bolt hold-open. I made my own with a nail and a grinder.

------------------
CAM's refers to the Crack Addled Monkeys that work at Century Arms.
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I thought R1A1 denoted that it was built using South African parts.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

Netpackrat:
I thought R1A1 denoted that it was built using South African parts.
I'll have to look closely, but I believe it has the Century markings R1A1 on the lower receiver (right side) and L1A1 on the upper receiver (left side). It's been a while since I looked. It's all inch pattern though.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Well, there is a reason they call Century builds FrankenFALs...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

NPR,

You may be right about it being made with South African parts. I looked at it tonight and where I thought it said L1A1, it was blank. The right side is indeed stamped R1A1. I thought I had hallucinated the whole L1A1 thing. Then I hunted up the box it came in and the related materials. All of them say L1A1 and have the correct serial number of my rifle.

You're right about FrankenFALs. Who knows where the parts came from? Those wacky Crack Addled Monkeys just keep going and going.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Man, I'm glad I cleaned out SARCO for $4 a pop shipped last year. Most of 'em were Israeli, too.

DSA has the best deals on used Steyr mags right now. $8 each I think.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!