Iron maintenance

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
g-man

Re: Iron maintenance

Post by g-man »

I was disabused of the notion that the AR platform is too finicky in sandy conditions when we were on the small-arms range in Kuwait on our way into Iraq, during a sandstorm. M4 kept running until there was literally too much sand in the chamber to cycle the action, and it was plenty ‘wet’. Dry would have made no difference given the volume of stuff blowing in the air. It wasn’t about ‘lubricant retained particulate’, but wind-blown debris…

The Rifle Balm stuff goes on a bit thicker than other stuff I’ve used, but that’s apparently supposed to be the idea. If it seals up the gaps enough so I’m not worried about the first mag(+/-), and makes the gun cycle faster and more reliably then, it’s exactly where I want it to be for an ‘in case shit…’ tool.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I make Ed's Red by the gallon and have it in splooge cans all over my work space
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

An article similar to this convinced me that food safe grease was great. I bought some Lubriplate in a small tub years ago, and I've hardly made a dent in it. Can't find the original article, but it tested a variety of greases. The "lubricates when wiped off" feature seems good to me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:41 pm I make Ed's Red by the gallon and have it in splooge cans all over my work space
I mixed up a batch of that once. I think I still have some around. IIRC it was mostly ATF, some mineral spirits and a little lanolin. Honestly, I couldn't tell much difference from that and just using ATF, which is why I went to ATF.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Weetabix wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:13 pm An article similar to this convinced me that food safe grease was great. I bought some Lubriplate in a small tub years ago, and I've hardly made a dent in it. Can't find the original article, but it tested a variety of greases. The "lubricates when wiped off" feature seems good to me.
Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that before. He says the same thing as HTRN about motor oil and lubriplate.

Another endorsement of lubriplate. I need to score some of that.

Like, I said, one of my training buddies is a Frog Lube evangelist. From what I can tell, it is basically food-safe grease.

What I like about the "Project Farm" video is he actually sets up a test rig to test wear protection. The Frog Lube did OK, but not as well as Clenzoil. Maybe we can convince "Project Farm" to do the test with ATF and lubriplate.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:23 pm Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that before. He says the same thing as HTRN about motor oil and lubriplate.
That's the same website I linked to years ago.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

HTRN wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:00 amThat's the same website I linked to years ago.
Maybe that's a reason to resurrect that zombie thread :oops:

IIRC that old thread was where I got the recipe for "Eds Red".
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I use Zeds Red which is my version of Ed's Red. ATF for the win!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I am boring and use Remington oil and Hopps #9, maybe som CLP on occasion. Also some foaming Hornaday solvent is useful at times.