Washing & drying ALICE gear.

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Cybrludite

Washing & drying ALICE gear.

Post by Cybrludite »

Joys of keeping cats for a friend while her house is being worked on. Either one of my "house guests" or my own cat being annoyed at them decided to piss on a ALICE tactical vest I had laying around. Anyone have suggestions on how to de-stink it & what dryer settings to use?
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Netpackrat

Re: Washing & drying ALICE gear.

Post by Netpackrat »

Take the opportunity to upgrade to some modern kit?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

If the budget allowed, I would. However, 2021 started by me getting laid off. (Literally, my position ran until 11:59:59 12/3/2020.) Of course, being of Scottish ancestry and having had parents who grew up during the Depression/WWII era, even if I did upgrade, I'd still keep this setup as a spare.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Take it outside and rinse it with a garden hose?

Also, if you want a MOLLE vest, you can get this one shipped to you for $67.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... rplus/6149
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cybrludite wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:50 pmOf course, being of Scottish ancestry and having had parents who grew up during the Depression/WWII era,
Oh man, I know that story - you don't just pinch pennies, you squeeze em in a vise! :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

The approved Army method would be to scrub it by hand using Simple Green or something similar.

No matter how you clean it, I'd air dry it. TA-50 tends to be hard on washers and dryers. Also makes a terrible racket in the dryer.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Termite

Post by Termite »

Many yrs ago I used a mild soap, like Ivory or Dial, and a soft brush to scrub my TA-50 gear, then air dry it.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

That smell ain't coming out unless you can safely use something like Nature's Miracle on it. You want something with the right enzymes.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Jered

Post by Jered »

What about soaking it in denture cleaner?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Termite

Post by Termite »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:52 am That smell ain't coming out unless you can safely use something like Nature's Miracle on it. You want something with the right enzymes.
This stuff works great for exactly that. I used it on our HVAC plenum after we had a bit of a problem with cellulose insulation in the plenum falling on the auxiliary heating elements, which smoked up my house. Several treatments of Digest Plus completely eliminated the smoke odor.
It also worked great on rat/mouse urine & poop in the shop.

https://www.longsproducts.com/product-p ... art?page=3

Digest Plus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."