One good thing about the COVID-19 thing......

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Termite

One good thing about the COVID-19 thing......

Post by Termite »

Hand sanitizer.

For preppers, there is now alcohol fuel for backpacking stoves EVERYWHERE, and cheap.

The 90% stuff is best, BTW.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Greg

Re: One good thing about the COVID-19 thing......

Post by Greg »

Personally I want something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Kettle
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

Are you talking a Trangia type stove?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Seems like old bottles of hand sanitizer are more liquid than gel. I wonder how one could accelerate that liquefaction? I must have made about a hundred soda can stoves when my son was in Scouts. I always used Heet as the fuel because it was cheap and the bottle sealed up pretty well. I think I have a Trangia somewhere, too.
Greg wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:47 pm Personally I want something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Kettle
I've always meant to try one of those. The Hobo Stove accessory on the base looks like a Solo Stove. I'll bet a Kelly Kettle would work a treat on a Solo Stove. Must think...
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Termite wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:38 pm Hand sanitizer.

For preppers, there is now alcohol fuel for backpacking stoves EVERYWHERE, and cheap.
Why not use Everclear? Unless you're burning copies quantities it's relatively cheap, and as a bonus, you can drink it in mixers. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Still using the big bottle of hand sanitizer in my garage that has been in there since I moved in 2017, and was in the previous garage for a few years before that. I'll probably actually use it all up in a month or two.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:52 am Why not use Everclear? Unless you're burning copies quantities it's relatively cheap, and as a bonus, you can drink it in mixers. :ugeek:
Everclear indeed works, but it isn't available everywhere. And only for folks over 21.

Crap, the alcohol hand sanitizer is for sale EVERYWHERE. And can be bought by kids even.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Termite wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:11 pmEverclear indeed works, but it isn't available everywhere. And only for folks over 21.

Crap, the alcohol hand sanitizer is for sale EVERYWHERE. And can be bought by kids even.
Some schmoe will start the Hand Sanitizer Challenge on TikTok or some crap, and then Karen will take care of that. ;)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Just remember my motto (one of several).

"Build a man a fire, and you will keep him warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life."