How to make a winchester model 94 operate smoother

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
DOC

How to make a winchester model 94 operate smoother

Post by DOC »

Trying to make my model 94 run smoother
tfbncc

Re: How to make a winchester model 94 operate smoother

Post by tfbncc »

A long time ago, I was talking to a guy involved in cowboy action shooting. This was back in the early days before all the custom guns were being built. The consensus at the time was you had to take your rifle, pack the action with a fine abrasive paste, then work the action a few hundred times to polish the guide rails. The popular paste to use at the time was pearl drops toothpaste. I don't know if they still make the abrasive toothpaste.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I've actually done that on an SKS with powdered brick. You have to pound it pretty fine. I'd guess you could do it with some jeweler's rouge or the polishing compound from a Dremel kit, too.

Steve's Guns has a video available for slicking up a Rossi R92. I imagine the principles are the same.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Uhh guys ever heard JB compound?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

No. Tell us about it.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I need more words. That appears to be a fantastic bore cleaner. How do you use it to slick up an action?
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I sat as a kid and watched the gunsmith next door many times slicking up actions by cycling with fine valve grinding compound. He always cautioned not to go too far. That you could get them too polished and then have the parts start sticking together.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I believe JB Bore Cleaner (invented by Jim Brobst) is finely ground "diatomaceous earth" or similar and oil(s).It is indeed a great bore-fouling remover, and does certainly slick up actions but must be renewed often during the process and thoroughly removed at the end. I've used it for over 30 years.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It's a non embedding ultra fine abrasive. Besides being used as a bore cleaner, its also popular for lapping lugs on bolt action rifles.