Red Dot sights - opinions?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
D5CAV

Red Dot sights - opinions?

Post by D5CAV »

I've played with red dot sights on and off over the years. I have some horrendous examples on my shelf that are 30 years old. They seem to have gotten a lot better.

I'm looking at getting a reflex sight for a standard 5.56 launcher. Yes, I know, all red dot sights are technically reflex sights, but I'm thinking of some of the single-glass sights vs. the tube-style sights.

It looks like they lend themselves to two-eye open shooting, which is my style.

Any downsides to these vis-a-vis the tube-style red dot sights?

Holosun and Vortex are about the same price: https://botach.com/vortex-vmd-3103-veno ... hts-3-moa/

https://botach.com/holosun-hs407co-v2-r ... ircle-dot/

Leica is about 2x as much: https://botach.com/leica-tempus-asph-re ... t-2-0-moa/

Any experience with these? Any issues or clear advantages? Any other brands that are demonstrably better? TIA
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Weetabix

Re: Red Dot sights - opinions?

Post by Weetabix »

I'm just here to learn on this one, but shake awake seems pretty attractive. I've never tried to look through an 8 MOA ring, though - not sure what that would look like.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Get an Aimpoint ACO or PRO, leave the brightness on an intermediate setting, and change the battery once a year.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Oh, as for the reflex sights, the only experience I have with that type is with the RMRs on a couple of my 10mm pistols. Supposedly due to the open emitter design, if you get water on the emitter you can lose the dot. I have not experienced that yet but I also have suppressor height BUIS on those pistols. I like the setup enough that I am probably going to have a 9mm Glock done the same way but with the newer Type 2 RMR.

For a carbine I would use a tube type red dot, if I didn't want to use a low powered variable for some reason.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Looking hard at one of these real soon.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/liberty-justice
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
randy

Post by randy »

I've had a Trijicon Reflex sight on my AR for about 10 years now. Still a good visible orange dot. Has fiber optics to improve bright daylight visibility. The only thing I would have done different is gone with a bigger MOA dot. I like not having to mess with batteries.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/subca ... con-reflex
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm Oh, as for the reflex sights, the only experience I have with that type is with the RMRs on a couple of my 10mm pistols. Supposedly due to the open emitter design, if you get water on the emitter you can lose the dot.
1. What brands? Any strong preferences?
2. That might be a deal-killer for me. Having to use BUIS every time it rains is a problem. Maybe that's why I don't see reflex sights on US Army rifles.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

D5CAV wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:22 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm Oh, as for the reflex sights, the only experience I have with that type is with the RMRs on a couple of my 10mm pistols. Supposedly due to the open emitter design, if you get water on the emitter you can lose the dot.
1. What brands? Any strong preferences?
2. That might be a deal-killer for me. Having to use BUIS every time it rains is a problem. Maybe that's why I don't see reflex sights on US Army rifles.
Sorry, the RMR is a Trijicon product. The one on my G29 I bought used from a friend who had it on a carbine and said he ended up not liking that type of optic on the long gun. When I put an optic on my G19 it will also be an RMR. The Type 2 they make now is specifically built to withstand being mounted on a pistol slide; the originals (which have held up on my 10mms) were not.

I only have one AR with a red dot, it is an Aimpoint C3 (discontinued model, current is PRO or ACO) on my braced take down pistol. My carbines all have low power variables of some form. But to specifically answer your question, Trijicon or Aimpoint. Have not heard good things about Aimpoint's pistol optic though. My 300blk carbines all have a Nikon 1.5-6, but I consider those to be "fun" guns; if I intended to use them for more serious purposes (other than hunting) they would have different optics. I have a Triicon 1-4 Accupower on my SBRed AK, and a second one I bought that will go on a 16" version of that gun I am still building.

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Brings me back to long postponed choice for my 30-30.

Got a cheap 4x on a 336.

It's Just. Not. Right. Feel is all wrong for a lever gun.
In a perfect world with perfect eyes I would be pulling it and installing a receiver or tang mount peep.

I love irons but I've had to accept the reality of 60 yr old eyes.

What choice in this corner of the optics world for that? 150yd shooting max. More likely less distance with a priority on rapid acquisition and shot. CA type open brush country hogs.
Probably worth a survey actually.

I almost got a Burris Fastfire at one point.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

TheArmsman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:32 am Looking hard at one of these real soon.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/liberty-justice
As you all know (at least in theory) I manage this company's brand on Amazon.

That being said, for the price, they make awesome products. I have tested a few of their variable illuminated reticle optics. Good stuff. I have played with some of the red dot stuff fairly extensively and a friend did a test with one for battery life. His pistol mounted dot was kept at MAX brightness and lasted 10.5 months before battery death. I also happen to like Holosun and have their 403 on my carry pistol although when Swampfox gets inventory levels up, I will likely replace with one of theirs.

I can also get you guys a +/- 30% discount on them if you do a positive review. Meaning if you hate it, don't write a review, but return it. If you like it write a 4 or 5 star Amazon review and post it up. I give you the coupon code at the time of purchase.

Not to be combined with the above discount, but soon we are going to be running a deep discount promo on the Patriot line and add in a free Freedom ring set with purchase.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/