Red Dot sights - opinions?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: Red Dot sights - opinions?

Post by Combat Controller »

I will be the voice of caution on Swamp Fox, I bought one (Oleg Volk had recommended it) and it is HEAVY (I have 56mm scopes a foot long that weigh less), the edges have distortion (they claim it is so the center of the optic is more clear) the casting is rough and just an overall disappointing optic. It feels very "Chinese" . It works but... I want my $300 back. I love Trijicon because no batteries (I have maybe 6) and Sig makes a real good red dot. I also am liking the HoloSun I bought for the MP 17. I think the solar backup is neat. YMMV but I DO NOT like the swamp fox. I say skip the tube unless you are getting a variable like a 1-6 etc.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

That said I have the blade, the others may be just fine.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/blade-1x25-prism
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Combat Controller wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 pm I will be the voice of caution on Swamp Fox, I bought one (Oleg Volk had recommended it) and it is HEAVY (I have 56mm scopes a foot long that weigh less), the edges have distortion (they claim it is so the center of the optic is more clear) the casting is rough and just an overall disappointing optic. It feels very "Chinese" . It works but... I want my $300 back. I love Trijicon because no batteries (I have maybe 6) and Sig makes a real good red dot. I also am liking the HoloSun I bought for the MP 17. I think the solar backup is neat. YMMV but I DO NOT like the swamp fox. I say skip the tube unless you are getting a variable like a 1-6 etc.
older swampfox products are well older optics. They started out as a chinese optic maker looking to create a brand with Americans designing new products. The originals were examples similar to the products they OEM'ed for others (not close to the high end of the middle). Their newer products are much better in almost every way and MOST are very good for the money spent.

Are they US Optics, Nightforce, Ior Valdada... not even close. Are they more scope than you should get at the price point. Usually and often by a fair amount.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Holosuns seem to be providing the best bang for your buck at the moment.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Precision wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Combat Controller wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 pm I will be the voice of caution on Swamp Fox, I bought one (Oleg Volk had recommended it) and it is HEAVY (I have 56mm scopes a foot long that weigh less), the edges have distortion (they claim it is so the center of the optic is more clear) the casting is rough and just an overall disappointing optic. It feels very "Chinese" . It works but... I want my $300 back. I love Trijicon because no batteries (I have maybe 6) and Sig makes a real good red dot. I also am liking the HoloSun I bought for the MP 17. I think the solar backup is neat. YMMV but I DO NOT like the swamp fox. I say skip the tube unless you are getting a variable like a 1-6 etc.
older swampfox products are well older optics. They started out as a chinese optic maker looking to create a brand with Americans designing new products. The originals were examples similar to the products they OEM'ed for others (not close to the high end of the middle). Their newer products are much better in almost every way and MOST are very good for the money spent.

Are they US Optics, Nightforce, Ior Valdada... not even close. Are they more scope than you should get at the price point. Usually and often by a fair amount.
Problem is I bought it 4 months ago. It's brand new.