First Time Mounting Ski Bindings

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Jered

First Time Mounting Ski Bindings

Post by Jered »

I picked up a set of Asnes skis (the $20 from Colemans) and a set of Ramer bindings. Not done mounting them yet. It's pretty straightforward so far. Looks like I'm going to have a new wintertime hobby
103411462_10220172925207247_2542662660231991605_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
randy

Re: First Time Mounting Ski Bindings

Post by randy »

Cross country or downhill?

I realize I should probably be able to tell from the picture, but I have been on skis precisely once, in college, Made about two trips down the beginners slope without catastrophe, decided the results weren't worth the effort and spent the rest of the day in lounge next to the fireplace and bar in a comfy chair with a good book.

Thought about taking up cross country, but of the two winters I spent in Omaha, one I spent deployed to Florida for a good part of it and there wasn't enough snow the next winter to make it a useful endeavor. I grew up in Iowa, but X-Country wasn't a thing in my area then. Sledding for the younger crowd and snow mobiles for the older. (I did once spend a very fun day Ice Boating though).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

Theoretically, the USGI ski/binding setup I've got can do both.

From what I've read, they're better for cross country, though. I figure for less than $100 it's money well spent whether or not I find a new hobby.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

The laces are the giveaway. Now you can practice your telemark turns. I saw someone do that at Mammoth Mountain many years ago. It was almost like watching a ballet with no jumps, just a rhythmic alternating kneeling. If you have done any downhill skiing, it is difficult to go from that to cross country. I did that for one day, and I am amazed that I did not tear ligaments, tendons and muscles.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Jered

Post by Jered »

That's cable, not laces.

They're telemark bindings that are made by Ramer. And Czech winter boots.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

laced boots...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story