Cleaning question

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
AndytheAxe

Cleaning question

Post by AndytheAxe »

Hoping this is the right thread. I got a bit enthusiastic cleaning my 686 after the range today and I got CLP and gun oil all over one of my more liked shirts. Didn't notice until I was done the revolver. Is shout/oxyclean good to get it off or do you recommend something else?
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
Gunnuts

Re: Cleaning question

Post by Gunnuts »

Oil and/or grease I'd try pretreating with dish soap (Dawn or equivalent) if that doesn't get it try Goop (waterless hand cleaner).

It'll probably take a few tries.

Better to have a gun cleaning shirt. ;)
Precision

Post by Precision »

what he said. Whatever you do, to not put it in the dryer until you are sure it is clean. That will set it FOREVER.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

Oil eater? Stuff sold by granger and tractor supply works great for getting grease out of clothes
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

Looks like the dish soap worked!
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Dawn was part two a "secret" cleaning process at one place i worked. Part one was kero.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt