Rifle rest recommendation, please

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
DavidB

Rifle rest recommendation, please

Post by DavidB »

OK, I've been looking for something that will work on top of a concrete bench at the range. Not BR, not wildly expensive, not cheap/fall apart, mid-range. It could be sandbag style, it could be metal frame or a combination. What do you have that works? For sighting in and checking load accuracy. It would be nice not to be fussing with the set up, just plunk it down and get to work. Thank you!
Netpackrat

Re: Rifle rest recommendation, please

Post by Netpackrat »

I use a lead sled that was chosen mainly because it was on sale. It works fine but I did end up making spacers for the pads that are used with pistol gripped rifles.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/34866 ... oting-rest

This is what I use. I did not buy it here, but it was the first place that had it to show.

I use sandbags and my hand placement for the rear rest whether seated or prone. The front rest is quite stable and easily adjustable. I do bring a 3/4" piece of plywood for prone use as the foot adjusters tend to sink in sand under recoil, but other than that, I like it a lot for the money I spent.

Oh wait. It was free, a wedding present. Gotta love friends like that, especially when they were really Dawn's friends.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

DavidB wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:47 pmNot BR, not wildly expensive,
Well, ther goes my suggestion. :mrgreen: :ugeek:

SEB Neos are about the best money can buy, along with Farley, but you will drop a giant pile of cash on either one of them. SEB has the additional hassle of being in Indonesia.

Grizzly Industrial has bald eagle rests for sale, between 140-200 dollars. Theyrr probably the best "cheap" option.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Every pair of worn-out denim pants has at least 2 sandbags in the legs. Filled with oil-dry or kitty litter they work just fine, they're lightweight and you can carry several in the 5-gallon bucket you use to haul ammo, targets, tape, pasters, yr shooting glasses, muffs, etc.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

And i just looked to see what Farley is getting for a rest - 2 grand?! Yeesh. I thought they were exepnsive when they were 1200..The Neo is a relative bargain in comparision at around 1300.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I have four sandbags that I stack to suit me at the moment; two shaped like a largish soup can, and two shaped like a smallish fruitcake tin. I bought them off the internet about 12 years ago, and can't recall what I paid. When I can get around to it I'll buy unfilled versions of the Caldwell Deadshot bags and see how they work. If I ever travel by public transportation to shoot, having bags without "Mystery sand" in them should more easily get me past the Teatro de la Seguridad del Absurdo.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy