School me on ponchos

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
First Shirt

Re: School me on ponchos

Post by First Shirt »

I bought a couple of the lightweight sleeping bag liners (part of the ECWS sleeping bag set) and The Senior Minions use them when deer hunting. I figured out, fairly early on, that SM#1 will NOT leave the blind as long as she's conscious. So when they get into the blind or shooting house, they get into the lightweight bags, zip them up about halfway, and stay reasonably comfortable while waiting for Bambi (or his cousins) to wander by.

There have been a couple of days when I wished I'd bought one more.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have one of those, but I've not used it that way. I'll have to try that in December.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Denis

Post by Denis »

First Shirt wrote:...when they get into the blind or shooting house, they get into the lightweight bags, zip them up about halfway, and stay reasonably comfortable while waiting for Bambi...
Over here, there is a shooting accessory known as an "Ansitzsack". It's like a cross betweeen a sleeping bag and an overcoat, which keeps one warm and cosy for long waits in a cold hide. I don't have one (a combination of my Swiss poncho and Czech army blanket usually keep me warm and dry), but they're on special offer at the moment, and I'm sorely tempted... I hate being cold on a shoot.

http://images.google.com/search?&q=ansitzsack

The other thing I hate is being wet on a shoot. If I know I'm going to be on a ladder, or in/on a hide without a roof, I bring an oversized anglers' umbrella with me, together with a little gadget to allow me to fix it to a tree or post. That way rifle, scope, binos, glasses and I stay dry and happy.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Denis wrote:
First Shirt wrote:...when they get into the blind or shooting house, they get into the lightweight bags, zip them up about halfway, and stay reasonably comfortable while waiting for Bambi...
Over here, there is a shooting accessory known as an "Ansitzsack". It's like a cross betweeen a sleeping bag and an overcoat, which keeps one warm and cosy for long waits in a cold hide. I don't have one (a combination of my Swiss poncho and Czech army blanket usually keep me warm and dry), but they're on special offer at the moment, and I'm sorely tempted... I hate being cold on a shoot.

http://images.google.com/search?&q=ansitzsack

The other thing I hate is being wet on a shoot. If I know I'm going to be on a ladder, or in/on a hide without a roof, I bring an oversized anglers' umbrella with me, together with a little gadget to allow me to fix it to a tree or post. That way rifle, scope, binos, glasses and I stay dry and happy.
Manly 'Murican version here:
Linky
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Very nice, but I bought three of the lightweight bags for about $40 each. And for he southeastern US, they provide enough extra insulation.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Granted, it's a bit off topic but in cold wet weather I prefer my wool horse blanket capote with double thick shoulder shawl. Up high, hunting elk, I love it.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

McClarkus wrote:Granted, it's a bit off topic but in cold wet weather I prefer my wool horse blanket capote with double thick shoulder shawl. Up high, hunting elk, I love it.
Y'know, I've always wanted one of those, just because. Could never justify the cost when I had other stuff that worked well enough.

That, and I'd feel silly wearing one while hunting with a modern bolt gun. And I don't need one during muzzle-loader season.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I don't know. Is it quieter than modern equivalents?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Extremely quiet. Like a wool sleeping bag with no feet.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.