School me on ponchos

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
gigicd70

Re: School me on ponchos

Post by gigicd70 »

Great to know Now you can get anything from The Sportsman's at a very cheap price you have to do is check out the LINK REMOVED and take a lot of Discount Deals. And get free shipping on selective products.

Let's see, new user reviving a Necro-thread to drop a commercial link without prior coordination with the Mods.

Yeah no.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

/minor threadjack: ON/
Like that bag (out of stock at the moment)

What's in your cold weather car kit for hunkering down in a vehicle breakdown situation?

My son the Jarhead and wife relocated to MT in April. As of today he's driving to Ft Benton from Great Falls for work. Winter is going to be interesting learning curve for the SoCal surfer dude.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Somebody please ban the spammer.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:58 pm What's in your cold weather car kit for hunkering down in a vehicle breakdown situation?
I'm gonna necro this thread! :P

I've lived in Montana for several years and dealt with the winters here. If it gets cold, you need to layer.

For your outer layer, I would suggest something that blocks the wind. Water resistance is not important, you need to block the wind. The wind cuts through fabric and sucks out your heat. Underneath the wind blocking layer, you need insulation. I'd recommend either wool or some sort of polyester that keeps some insulation when it gets damp.

Also, get a set of good cold weather boots.

If you're vehicle breaks down, stay with it. It's shelter that blocks the wind. If you are looking for a single solution to keeping warm in cold weather, I've used aa Sarma TST thermal cloak. I've tested one of those in cold weather. I work a pair of insulated boots, and that kept me warm in -20 or -30 weather over shorts and a t-shirt.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jered wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:46 am If you're vehicle breaks down, stay with it. It's shelter that blocks the wind. If you are looking for a single solution to keeping warm in cold weather, I've used aa Sarma TST thermal cloak. I've tested one of those in cold weather. I work a pair of insulated boots, and that kept me warm in -20 or -30 weather over shorts and a t-shirt.
Which one did you have - non insulated, 65 gm, or 100 gm?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Thanks for the thermal clock link. Yeah layering... and cotton kills. Born in Fairbanks, moved to the wetside of WA, trained in Snow SAR on Mt Rainer as a teen.

But the question was about cars and hunkering down in one during extreme cold (breakdowns, stuck, etc). A candle can do wonders in a small space -- but ventilation has to be minded.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

"Hot Hands" will make you feel a lot better when you're in the cold. At least they will in a tree stand in the dark in December.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Post by Jered »

Weetabix wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:14 pm Which one did you have - non insulated, 65 gm, or 100 gm?
The 100 gram one.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.