Magazine holders, belt or paddle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Re: Magazine holders, belt or paddle

Post by Rich Jordan »

Netpackrat wrote:I understand all of that; I just don't want anything to happen and you not be able to defend yourself because you delayed applying for your permit, and carrying *something* (even if not ideal) until everything was perfect in your mind. If a P-32 is what you will have that will work for the time being, that is what you carry while working towards something better. When my P3AT recently went on the fritz, I didn't just do without; I carried my next best choice until I found a more permanent replacement suitable for times when I can't realistically carry the 10mm.

I realize that having gone without for so long, it may not seem like there is a big rush to get it done, but criminal attack isn't something that happens according to the victim's convenience. I'm not trying to be preachy or a pain in the ass... I just want to avoid the following thread here in the future:

"Hey, remember that guy Rich who used to post here? Whatever happened to him?"

"Dunno man, it's like he dropped off the face of the earth!"

"Rich who?"
Probably be that way anyway; I'm not one of the megaposters or entertaining ones ;)

I'm fitting a pants pocket with a clip-bar to test the P-32 with a side clip (and a trigger plug that prevents the trigger from being pulled) and I have a pocket holster too. I can 'test' moving around, sitting, stairs, exercising, etc. inside the house without issue. Other than pockets I don't have a spare magazine carry method for it yet. I have a leather IWB holster for a midsize pistol; again no mag carry method yet that I can also try at home. Everything else is outside the belt and for larger pieces, that won't conceal except under a longer-than-suit coat.

The law has been in place since 2013; I'm just moving on it now (planned on it a few months ago and finally got time for the classes). Info from early appliers, and legal summaries were reasons to delay initially. Info from the classes is what made me decided to hold off on applying a little longer.

The primary reason is legal. I'm going to have all the traps the shitcagoans built into the law memorized. And I'm going to better understand the connotations of giving that info to the crook county sheriff and states attorney, both of whom are almost certainly (illegally) compiling databases of CCL applicants. I won't be sending in fingerprints (which are optional) for the same reason; it would speed up issue but I don't want the crooks running the state to have them on record as a matter of principle.

I don't have to travel into chicago often, and the law makes it pretty difficult to do so carrying without tripping over one of the gotchas. I lost my dog last month so I'm not out walking at night any more. Those are/were the main carry-wanted times. My work office is posted no carry (and my boss wants to move because of it). Work CCL policy is friendly but that doesn't override the landlord posting.

So goes.

Thanks for your feedback; I do appreciate it.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I usually carry a J-frame with a speed loader in the front right pocket, but on the occasions that I'm wearing my 1911, my spare mag rides in a blackhawk pouch. It's got a stiff lining and used to have a cover that snapped shut, but the mag fit well enough that I just snipped it off and use it open top. I acquired it in Iraq and used it daily for an M9 mag. Oddly enough, the 1911 mag also fits perfectly. Not exactly sure how that's possible, now that I think about it, but it is true. I also had a pair of paddle-style mag pouches that I didn't wear all that often. I think they were made by Fobus. They got sent home in a foot locker that never arrived, along with a bunch of other cool gear. I think that preference depends somewhat on your build. As a skinny guy, I like the belt-style better because they take up less space and don't tend to bulge on my fairly thin waist. A bunch of the larger guys I know prefer the paddle style, which conforms to their body and doesn't get "lost".

No matter what I'm carrying it's typically strong (right) side at about 4:30. Mag pouch is on the opposite side, forward at 10:00 to 11:00 (two mags take more space). With the revolvers, ammo goes on the right along with the gun, since that's the hand I'm loading with.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

JKosprey wrote:.... A bunch of the larger guys I know prefer the paddle style, which conforms to their body and doesn't get "lost".

No matter what I'm carrying it's typically strong (right) side at about 4:30. Mag pouch is on the opposite side, forward at 10:00 to 11:00 (two mags take more space). With the revolvers, ammo goes on the right along with the gun, since that's the hand I'm loading with.
Thanks for the info. I'd be on the 'larger' side, trying as always to trim back down.

The instructor recommended a 4:30 position both for concealability with a wider assortment of clothing, and to allow the left hand easier access if necessary. I haven't tried it yet with my OWB holsters.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Rich wrote:I'm fitting a pants pocket with a clip-bar to test the P-32 with a side clip (and a trigger plug that prevents the trigger from being pulled)
Been there done that, and I understand the concern. However, it takes a pretty good squeeze to release a trigger. I was also concerned about other pocket litter getting tangled up in the triger guard and promoting me to alto in the church choir. So, after much experimentation, I came to the following conclusion. Nothing else goes in that pocket. Nothing.

Depending on dress, I carry either a J-frame Smith or a Ruger LCP in my stongside front pocket.NOTHING ELSE GOES IN THAT POCKET. Normal pocket litter (keys, a penknife, spare change) goes somewhere else. There is nothing in that pocket except the smoker.

After a decade of carrying like that, (I began this experiment in '04, after buying, trying, experimenting, and dropping in the holster box) it's second nature. The pocket gun goes int he pocket. Everything else goes somewhere else. I've never been made, no one notices, it is what it is.

Now, I understand that for yearly quals, I have to have a good holster and I have several. On those days, I simply strap on a holster and go to the range. After quals are completed, the little pistol goes back in that pocket.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

For open carry OWB, I have a Desantis leather double magazine pouch that works great. For everyday carry of my Kahr PM9, I have the Kahr pocket holster in my right side, and a Snagmag holder for one mag in the left. It has worked great and I recommend it.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

PawPaw wrote:Nothing else goes in that pocket. Nothing.

Depending on dress, I carry either a J-frame Smith or a Ruger LCP in my stongside front pocket.NOTHING ELSE GOES IN THAT POCKET. Normal pocket litter (keys, a penknife, spare change) goes somewhere else. There is nothing in that pocket except the smoker.
This, with the exception that I prefer the pocket pistol to be in a pocket holster. It breaks up the outline a bit, and it stabilizes the pistol's position, so I'm more likely to get a good grip on it if I need to in a hurry. But most importantly, everything else goes in a different pocket. Reloads get their own exclusive pocket, also.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Netpackrat wrote:
PawPaw wrote:Nothing else goes in that pocket. Nothing.

This, with the exception that I prefer the pocket pistol to be in a pocket holster. It breaks up the outline a bit, and it stabilizes the pistol's position, so I'm more likely to get a good grip on it if I need to in a hurry. But most importantly, everything else goes in a different pocket. Reloads get their own exclusive pocket, also.
With the auto, I'll slip a spare mag in my offside back pocket. With the revolver, I don't carry a reload (gasp! Heresy!) I consider the revolver to be the starting pistol in the fat man's retreat. No, honestly, a speedloader is too bulky and I never learned to use speed strips.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
randy

Post by randy »

I usually carry in shoulder holster (Galco Miami Classic) with two mag pouches opposite the holster to offset the weight of the pistol (BHP). To my surprise, this has worked out well for EDC and is now 75%+ of how I carry. I originally intended it mainly for long cross country driving expeditions.

The other way I carry my BHP is with a Ted Blocker ST-17 IWB. Comfortable for me, and is still going strong after 20+ years of ownership. I use a Galco single mag open top carrier that clips on the belt on the weak side. Not so much that I think I'm likely to need another 15 rounds of ammo*, but as a hedge against a magazine induced malfunction.

I do have a Fobus paddle with a matching paddle combination mag/flashlight carrier, but I've never been comfortable that the holster won't fail by breaking free of the paddle.

For my J-Frame I have a Ted Blocker pocket holster and carry a speed load in an old pager pouch on the belt. And NOTHING else in that pocket.

(*Of course, I am the one that said that the only time you can have too much ammo on you are when your are swimming or on fire)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

When I was carrying the P3AT I carried my spare magazine in the same manner as PawPaw. With the revolver I have been carrying a couple of speed strips in the offside "flashlight pocket" of my Carhartt pants.

I bought some practice rounds for the J frame, and am going to get some extra speed strips for practice in the next day or two. Nice thing about the revolver, is you can pretty much train all manipulations easily with dummy rounds. With an auto it's more of a pain in the ass. The only issue I see so far with the dummy rounds is they are a bit light compared to live ammo.

The dummy shotgun training rounds I bought a while ago were hollow down the middle, so I was able to epoxy buckshot into each of them to bring the weight up to that of a standard shell. the .38 dummy rounds are just a solid piece of molded plastic, so there's not much I can do there.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote: I bought some practice rounds for the J frame, and am going to get some extra speed strips for practice in the next day or two. Nice thing about the revolver, is you can pretty much train all manipulations easily with dummy rounds. With an auto it's more of a pain in the ass. The only issue I see so far with the dummy rounds is they are a bit light compared to live ammo.
So, these things literally came in the mail a couple hours ago, and I hadn't done anything with them yet other than look at them. Went to get the link from Amazon to post here, and I happened to look at the reviews. Not sure why I didn't do that before I bought them, but I guess it didn't occur to me to expect problems with a molded block of plastic... Either it fits, or it doesn't, right? If I had read the reviews, I would have known that they don't stand up to dry fire, and that the cartridge rims will break off. I verified that fact for myself a few minutes ago. So here's the link, do not buy these.

They still have some applicability for reloading practice, but due to the low weight, for best realism about all they are really good for is simulating ejecting spent cases. Sorry for the thread hijack, just thought I should follow up with what I found.