Events in Paris provide an excuse for med kit upgrade

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
randy

Re: Events in Paris provide an excuse for med kit upgrade

Post by randy »

While you're at it, throw in a pack of kid's band-aids with cartoon characters on it. I carry some when working public service events, and it can help settle a young one with a boo-boo down when he/she sees Scooby Do on their finger. As a preventive measure, have enough to give one to any brothers/sisters along lest they decide to get a boo-boo themselves in order to get a band-aid like their sibling has.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Again, I don't think you would ever need so many bandaids for an emergency, and medical tape/Neosporin is a better solution with less space taken up. Just my $.02, so your mileage may vary.

There are 6 (?) containers of bandaids in there. You only really would need one. (unless someone runs buck assed naked through a rosebush)
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Also, I don't see an Epipen. A few (4) rolls of compression wraps for sprained ankles and the such.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Yogimus wrote:Also, I don't see an Epipen. A few (4) rolls of compression wraps for sprained ankles and the such.
Epipen is in the medicine cabinet (I'm allergic to bees, so I get a new one every year). And I have another one I keep on my person when I am in the field or camping.

There is a compression wrap under the Izzy and Quiklot and several more in the med cabinet. http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... oC7Snw_wcB

I discovered them when one of my dogs injured its leg. They work much better than the self-adhering Ace bandages I've tried. And they are a helluva lot cheaper.
Greg

Post by Greg »

randy wrote:While you're at it, throw in a pack of kid's band-aids with cartoon characters on it. I carry some when working public service events, and it can help settle a young one with a boo-boo down when he/she sees Scooby Do on their finger. As a preventive measure, have enough to give one to any brothers/sisters along lest they decide to get a boo-boo themselves in order to get a band-aid like their sibling has.
Angry Birds and Cars work well, too.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Yogimus wrote:Again, I don't think you would ever need so many bandaids for an emergency, and medical tape/Neosporin is a better solution with less space taken up. Just my $.02, so your mileage may vary.

There are 6 (?) containers of bandaids in there. You only really would need one. (unless someone runs buck assed naked through a rosebush)
Then apparently you didn't read the kit notes.
I specifically noted not to put the whole sack of bandaids in the kit at once. Time, particularly spent in hot cars, kills adhesives (including medical tape).
The idea is to buy such small items in bulk, stock what you need, and refill from your own extras as used or destroyed.
Also, Neosporin, like most topicals, is >95% vaseline base and maybe 5% active ingredients.
Slathering Vaseline under medical tape will guarantee that both fall off in short order.
By the time you slip in a cut or folded 2"x2" piece of gauze to hold the Vaseline (and Neosporin) where it'll do the most good, without caused the tape to come off, you've spent about 50c worth of supplies to recreate what J&J and 10 other companies do with a bandaid/generic equivalent for about a penny.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Fair enough.

Another recommendation would be to toss a bottle of gatorade in there. Oh and before I forget!! A FLASHLIGHT!!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

My first aid training doesn't really go beyond what you could get in the boy scouts, but I do work on things in the dark often enough. A headlamp is probably a better idea than a regular flashlight, so you can devote both hands to your task.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Both Gatorade/equivalent and a light source are both excellent additions to any kit.

Neither is a medical item, per se (unless we want to add a tent to treat hypothermia, and a hyperbaric chamber to treat the bends).
So short of getting silly about it, I was putting together the most bang for the least buck for SHTF car or home-size first aid case.
Not listing everything on earth you could possibly need. If you look at the size of the Pelican tote mentioned, it is, by no means, something you'd tote around along with a ruck, LBE, personal weapon, etc. But in a vehicle or in the front hall closet, there isn't much critical care (where you could actually make a difference) you couldn't lay into with it.

It's also why every person's training and experience (which is why everybody needs some of both) should dictate the things you add or subtract from any kit list.
Stuff that Doc Russia uses multiple times a day, and that I could find my way around, might be totally worthless for Joe Average, as well as increase the likelihood that someone will be tempted to practice medical care beyond their own training, limitations, and intelligence.
"Stuff" does not equal "skillz".

That caveat aside, I usually carry a tube of cake frosting for diabetic emergencies, some electrolyte powder to mix with available water, and I have, IIRC, about a half-dozen of the Petzl Tactikka Plus LED headlamps shoved into each and every box and jump bag I own, and then some. Like the rest of their caving gear, they've proven indestructible and versatile, and the power save LEDs have avoided me needing to replace batteries in any of them, to date. (Being that good, they're currently unavailable indefinitely, blast it all, which means evidently they didn't have enough planned-obsolescence inferiority built in to keep the retailers happy. Or they've sold all they could make until the French elves who make them crank out another few conex boxes full of them, when they come back from their two-month vacay.)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Just from experience, I've dealt with more dehydration and heat related injuries than with arterial bleeding