Skool Me On Boot Sox

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Skool Me On Boot Sox

Post by Weetabix »

JAG2955 wrote:As a guy who spends LOTS of time on his feet and in boots, here is seriously all you need to know:

Darn Tough Socks
I've got three pairs now, based on this recommendation. I couldn't be happier.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

I have about 12 pairs of Smart Wool socks I have had since 2001. Have not bought any since then. Still going strong.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

TheArmsman wrote:I have about 12 pairs of Smart Wool socks I have had since 2001. Have not bought any since then. Still going strong.
I bought some in 2007, I think, and they've worn through in the sole and heel. Bought more in about 2010, and they wore through in the Achilles tendon area, I think from friction from the back of my shoe at the top. Maybe I was just unlucky?

They're both the lightweight, short hiker socks. I love them in and of themselves, but I've not had luck with durability.

What are yours?
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Has anybody tried Smart Socks AND Darn Tough Socks? Which worked better and why? On Amazon, the price seems close enough to not be a factor.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:Has anybody tried Smart Socks AND Darn Tough Socks? Which worked better and why? On Amazon, the price seems close enough to not be a factor.
I've got Smart Wool and Darn Tough, but I've only had the Darn Tough for a while.

Smart Wool lightweight hikers: Comfortable, light, comfortable, don't stink. Did I say comfortable?

Darn Tough Vermont Men's Merino Wool 1/4 Cushion Socks, Oatmeal, Large: Comfortable, warmer, not as light, cushiony, don't stink

Darn Tough Vermont Men's 1/4 Merino Wool Sock Ultra-Light Cushion Athletic Socks, Black/Gray, Medium: Comfortable; lighter, thinner, and cooler than the Darn Tough Cushion socks (obviously); higher up the leg than the Smart Wool or the DT Cushion socks - I feel like I need to turn them down. Got them yesterday, so I don't have any idea on longevity.

All of them pick up hair if you walk sock-shod on carpet and have cats and females with long hair in the house.

I like them all. I've loved the Smart Wool socks for years, but I'm giving the Darn Tough a try based on the recommendation above and hoping for durability. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

ETA: Get one of each and compare, then give us a range report. :D
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Weetabix wrote:
TheArmsman wrote:I have about 12 pairs of Smart Wool socks I have had since 2001. Have not bought any since then. Still going strong.
I bought some in 2007, I think, and they've worn through in the sole and heel. Bought more in about 2010, and they wore through in the Achilles tendon area, I think from friction from the back of my shoe at the top. Maybe I was just unlucky?

They're both the lightweight, short hiker socks. I love them in and of themselves, but I've not had luck with durability.

What are yours?
Mine are cream(?) colored, heavy duty. The only wear spot is on the outside of the foot, at the base of the pinky toe. That is just because that is where my foot rubs the most. Very minor wear on the heal/Achilles tendon. Still think everywhere else. Think they are the heavy-duty, cold weather ones. They work very well in both hot/cold climes for me.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

That's probably the difference. I got the very lightweight cream colored ones for warm weather hiking and general wear. Much less material, probably.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Weetabix wrote: All of them pick up hair if you walk sock-shod on carpet and have cats and females with long hair in the house.

Both. Guess I"m going to have some hairy socks. Good idea on the range report. I'm not going to go broke buying a sample of either one, so I'll let you know when they arrive.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I found these. A bit more expensive, but 87% wool. Clearly, for cold weather only.

CARHARTT
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

If you are going to spend $20 on a pair of socks, buy Darn Toughs. Made in USA, lifetime warranty.