How do you store your gun tools?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Frankingun

How do you store your gun tools?

Post by Frankingun »

A couple Christmases ago, my wife and brother-in-law gave me this Sears "homeowner" tool chest. The chest on top is screwed into the riser, which is screwed into the rollaway, and the screws aren't that big. Anyhow, my tool collection in the garage has outgrown this chest thing, and I'm thinking of getting a bigger rollaway and chest for the garage, then using the one I have now in the gun room to hold my gun tools and the accessories for the guns that didn't hit the lake bottom during that horrible boating accident. ;) I figure the things I have for repair and cleaning the gun(s) I have left would fit nicely in the old one. I do have a Gorilla workbench in there with two drawers but I need more room than that and bottles and cans are cluttering up the bench top.

So after all that, I'd like your thoughts on my ideas and I'm also wondering how you guys and gals store your tools and accessories for our favorite way to turn money into noise. The gun room is a mess and overflowing with things and any ideas are appreciated.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
cu74

Re: How do you store your gun tools?

Post by cu74 »

Pegboard and shelving on the walls can hold a lot of "stuff". I have a 6'x2 1/2' workbench in my shop/gun room. It has a 2'-deep lower shelf to hold the bulky liquid stuff - quarts of stock cleaning/refinishing products and Ed's Red bore cleaner (I mix it up in gallon batches). I cobbled together a three-shelf unit out of 1x4s to mount above the bench - that holds smaller bottles, boxed sets of small tools, etc., and pegboards on either side are handy for hanging all sorts of goodies. My one-piece cleaning rods are hang in a rack mounted on the side of a two-level gun rack. Shelves above another gun rack do for books and boxes of spare parts. It ain't elegant, but it works for me. (The gun racks are empty, of course 8-) .)
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

We use a couple of plastic tackle boxes for the cleaning supplies. Everything else is in an old desk that has been modified into a coffee table in the living room. Amazing how much stuff will go in a file drawer.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

CByrneIV wrote:It's not enough.
I think most of us are merely "normal" gun nuts, Chris. If we had your setup, we'd think we had died and gone to heaven, (or wherever John Moses Browning is now).

May I borrow about five linear feet of workbench? :P
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

No, he's still normal.

When you start thinking seperate buildings.. :mrgreen:

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
cu74

Post by cu74 »

Jennifer wrote:We use a couple of plastic tackle boxes for the cleaning supplies. Everything else is in an old desk that has been modified into a coffee table in the living room. Amazing how much stuff will go in a file drawer.
Been there, and it worked well too. We pro-constitution folks are a creative and inventive lot, aren't we?

I've replaced the tackle box with a Plano Shooting Case - I got mine at Cabella's link here. I always fill it with cleaning gear and toss it into the truck when I'm going shooting. The "staggered yokes" pop off and fit into the case. I also use it on the workbench when cleaning rifles, with a rubber mat underneath to keep it from moving. One of the best thirty bucks I ever spent. (Ask Santa for one.........)
Last edited by cu74 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have a gun room, and lots of bags, boxes, safes, and whatnot. It is not enough...
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
cu74

Post by cu74 »

In my experience, we never have enough. That said, I'll bet Jennifer's and Frankengun's firearms are just as well-maintained as Chris's or CC's or mine. Let's get over ourselves and give Frankengun some suggestions and ideas. :) We can do this..........
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I miss having a gun room... Again, not for the guns as much a for keeping everything organized. (Moon clip loaders, straighteners, cleaning brushes, etc etc etc.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aegis

Post by Aegis »

I'm definitely completely overshadowed. Most of my guns can be taken apart with only their own pieces, and those that can't, a typical back of the garage toolbox will take care of. Aside from cleaning supplies, which reside in a large cardboard box in the closet, the only real "gun tool" I have is my Garand combo tool, which handily enough fits inside the buttstock of the rifle. ;)

Spiffy!
Chicks dig fixed bayonets