What do you think of this survival tool?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
SeekHer

Re: What do you think of this survival tool?

Post by SeekHer »

Then Chris you might want to check out the Firestone hatchet
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

My opinion is the posted tool would be clumsy to use and a real knuckle scraper. I would also like to see somebody add some tubing and launch an arrow with accurate killing force with it. I think that would be entertaining.
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

CByrneIV wrote:
SeekHer wrote:Then Chris you might want to check out the Firestone hatchet
I generally prefer Granfors Bruks, but the belt axe, utility axe, and carving axe there are quite nice.

I was going to say "I worry about slitting the haft at the pinned eye", but I note that they use a laminated handle, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Have you then tried a Wetterling's Axe or the Oxhead Iltis brand Axes...I've got three of the Iltis and if you snap your finger on the flat of the blade it rings link china but an octave higher...I have used the Gransfors Bruks many times and have been told that the Wetterling is comparable but I really think the Iltis is a better steel...

I have a Firestone Axe with me all the time in my pack and use it to help skin moose, chop through the rib cage and of course shave fire sticks to roast the liver right there in the fire of deadfall it chopped up ...The ulu shape to the blade is intentional, the curve so that when it hits the full face meets the object and the handle shape adds momentum and control--they originally started as sculptors tools...

You might want to check out these custom makers for axes of true beauty...Lee Reeves of which I also have three of and the Tautahi Racing Axes I've only seen used in chopping competitions and handled at a chopping event of some kind...The Reeves belt axe was my go to go anywhere and everywhere axe for years and if we’re just camping it most likely will come with us but no longer on the hunting trips since I found the Firestone at half the weight…

I had been given a set of four Fiskars/Gerber synthetic handled axes and hatchets and although they are nice they lack the "feel" of a wood handle and it seems the balance if slightly off for me...For splitting firewood I have two wedges, one heavy and one not so heavy if the wife or kids need to split some that I got twenty five plus years ago and are still being made but I can't find the maker's name anymore...I'll have to get back to you on that but they are solid steel with a foam rubber hand grip and will go through anything, even the knottiest oak, with ease and seldom a second whack...All I remember is that they were advertised in The The Mother Earth News from which I learned of them and ordered from...They also had a log lifter to make cutting with a chain saw safer and easier that I got and seldom have ever used as I just throw the lengths on the buck and saw them there...
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

Perfect tool for preparing those sunday morning omelets at the campsite after a night of zapping Zombies. That edge will dice and slice mounds of onions and peppers and help prepare a delicate florette for the garnish.

I defy anyone to find a way to lash it to a stick as they suggest in a way that would be sufficiently strong to facilitate chopping wood..

In the woods you need two blades. One is none.
Jered

Post by Jered »

It looks just fancy enough to be almost useless.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.