Night scope recommendations for hogs?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Night scope recommendations for hogs?

Post by Weetabix »

Well, my buddy who was the impetus behind the whole thing found out he needs a disc replaced in his neck before we were going to go, so this one is off. We'll try to schedule something again later.

I got a very bright green light that mounts offset. I need to take it somewhere DARK to try it and see how far I can see with it. There are too many lights in the alley behind my house, but it seemed to change the illumination levels at least 100 yards. But we'll see what it does in the actual dark.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
johmsmith

Post by johmsmith »

In full darkness, this allows you to spot hogs from a considerable distance. A thermal monocular and a thermal riflescope are two types of thermal imaging instruments commonly used for hog hunting SPAM Link Removed. Buh Bye "johmsmith"
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I have read good things about the Wrath https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10208 ... 1100736061
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Nice
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Thermal Scopes: https://taskandpurpose.com/reviews/best-thermal-scopes/

I tried a friends ATN. Not impressed, nothing close to the quality of us.mil gear I used. I haven't used any of the other ones.

Thermion 2 XP50
At just under $5,000, the Thermion 2 XP50 strikes a happy medium between more affordable thermal scopes and heavy-duty options built for military and law enforcement use. It’s a surprisingly good value that can knock your nighttime hunting trips out of the park. If you want to drop hogs and predator species at longer distances, it’s an easy choice.
Trijicon REAP-IR
Even at a starting price of $7,000, the REAP-IR isn’t going to dazzle you with features and technology. It’s built to a very high standard, though, and protects all its high-end components with battle-ready housing. It’s one thermal scope we’d be happy to use in any climate and place.
I found the thermal scopes to be more useful than the night-vision scopes, but my experience is only with us.mil gear.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Oneil

Post by Oneil »

I'd definitely go with a thermal scope(basically superior in every way to illumination ones). My go-to for hogs is a Burris BTS 50(much cheaper than Trijicon reap-ir, but ofc not AS good - decent option though). Also, can't recommend a supperson enough(especially for hogs - you will be able to do 2-3 shots usually before they scatter, especially once you're used to it. I'm using Silencerco Omega 36 from https://gritrsports.com/silencerco/, but pretty much any rifle model should do)
Last edited by Oneil on Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have hunted without thermal and with thermal. Thermal is by far the way to go, even the not so good stuff is WAY better than not.
The offset mount green light works too. I had about 100 -150 yards of usable light. But our shots were mostly inside of 75-100 yards so it was simple. We could be within about 50-60 yards of the feed spot without unduly spooking the hogs. Hunting form an elevated platform also seemed to reduce spook.

I have not used ATN or FLIR for hunting although the ATN and SIOX (sp?) look good when just scanning around (for the money spent). Again usable on those is probably maxed at 150 yards, but that is sufficient. Flir is awesome, but not for the money.

I also strongly agree that suppression is your friend. Shot one, the pigs are confused. Shot two, many of the pigs are riled up with a few running. Shot three, the gig is up and they are all running, but you might still tag another with the 4th shot. Just make sure the first shot is a solid hit and drop shot or you will accelerate the process by at least one available shot.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Oneil

Post by Oneil »

I mean, thermal legit feels like real life cheats at night hunt, I completely agree. Supression is so busted too, my best result are 5 hogs in one go, they were sitting near a huge pile of mountain debris and had nowhere to run. Got 3 before panic and 2 on top while they started running and had nowhere to run.