Joining SASS.

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Cybrludite

Joining SASS.

Post by Cybrludite »

What should I get in the way of gear? Currently have a Cimarron SAA with a 4 3/4" barrel and have ordered a Spaghetti Western rig from El Paso Saddlery. Have a bid going on a Yellowboy repro in .45 Cold on Gun Broker. Suggestions for garb and helpful gear greatly appreciated.

Col. DeJean, SASS# 112533
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
blackeagle603

Re: Joining SASS.

Post by blackeagle603 »

Don't you need a SAG card for SASS? :)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

My interactions with SASS people has been that they will loan you whatever you need to play along. Do that a few times to learn what you need / like.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

20220709_202455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
randy

Post by randy »

Purty!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Put a set of Wolff springs in that iron.

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?pa ... dID=96#401

The flat spring for the sear/bolt is what breaks most often in the SAA replicas. Get the wire spring kit from Wolff. The Wolff mainspring is lighter than the factory spring and will lighten the pull weight on the hammer significantly.

The one Item I see in most of the SASS videos that everyone has besides pistols and rifles is a good cart to haul all your gear plus have a built in seat so you can rest your butt between sets. If your handy with woodworking build your own. A quick internet search for commercially made ones show they aren't cheap.

Ray
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

That a .45 Colt there?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

tfbncc wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:01 am The one Item I see in most of the SASS videos that everyone has besides pistols and rifles is a good cart to haul all your gear plus have a built in seat so you can rest your butt between sets. If your handy with woodworking build your own. A quick internet search for commercially made ones show they aren't cheap.
Modified golf bag carts are real popular with BR shooters. The other popular budget solution is to modify a HF oxyacetylene bottle cart.Add a mething like a Milwaukee packiut to the bottom and rifle racking at the top, and you've got a solution.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

There's a SASS group at the sportsman's club I joined in July. The guys I've seen at the range have those carts; they look useful. A bag cart probably would make a good start.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Oneil

Post by Oneil »

Wildbunch is the most fun I've had on any SASS events. Definitely can recommend checking those lads out.