PCP Pellet rifles

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

PCP Pellet rifles

Post by Weetabix »

What experience do you have with pre-charged pneumatic air rifles? Apparently, the calibers go up to .45 or so. A buddy has a few, and we took some .25 cal rifles squirrel hunting. Very quiet. Very accurate. He lent me a bullpup, which I probably wouldn't be interested in. He said it was good for about 20 shots on a charge. I took two shots, but one of the squirrels staid way up in the tree. The one I took home took about 15 minutes to fall out.

I'm thinking about a .25 for squirrel hunting. The Benjamin Marauder and Air Venturi Avenger seem interesting.

So. Any experience with these? Thoughts? Wild-ass, half-baked opinions?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Re: PCP Pellet rifles

Post by HTRN »

I know that their the tool of choice for dealing with iguanas in Florida.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Lewis and Clark took this THIS with them.

I've not used any of the more powerful ones. I have seen some interesting videos. They look like fun and seem like they are powerful enough to do more that shoot soda cans.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Cool article, Cobar! I knew they had an air rifle, but I didn't know that much about it. I'd always wondered how they charged it.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

The part about the logistical challenges and the soldiers not understanding them made me think about marines and crayons.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I am very interested, especially suppressed.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BDK

Post by BDK »

+1 on suppressed - and with exploding pellets. 😁
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Combat Controller wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:18 pm I am very interested, especially suppressed.
A buddy was hunting deer with a high caliber one. Shot at the deer. Deer said, "Whuh?" and went back to eating. Total of 3 shots without scaring the deer. Turns out his scope was trashed, but the noise never disturbed the deer.

He was getting ready to throw the scope away and his son-in-law asked for it because he was convinced the trouble was my friend. About a week later, he threw the scope away himself. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I ordered the Air Venturi Avenger in .25, an Air Venturi RovAir compressor, and a UTG 3-12x44 scope. I'll report back on the results.

This one can be fitted with a suppressor, but I'd like to see just how loud it is before I add that expense.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Anything to report or review?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story