define Truck Gun

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

define Truck Gun

Post by Precision »

I keep seeing people using that word and meaning completely different things.

I have a definition in mind, but want to hear your thoughts..

Also is it a different thing, or the same thing as a trunk gun?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Cobar

Re: define Truck Gun

Post by Cobar »

My understanding was always a rifle/shotgun you kept in the truck for when you needed something more than a pistol, or if you are not carrying a pistol. Trunk gun would be the same, just in a car's trunk.
Termite

Post by Termite »

I define "truck gun" as a firearm, rifle, handgun, or shotgun, that generally resides in your vehicle. Pickup or car doesn't matter. This would be somewhat different from your daily CCW piece, which stays on you.

A person living/traveling in the suburbs or city would tend towards a handgun. A farmer or rancher might tend more towards a rifle or shotgun.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Addendum: seems to carry an assumption that a truck/trunk gun wouldn't be a prized possession. Robust and easily maintained/serviced/replaced at need.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Precision

Post by Precision »

So if I hear you guys properly, a truck / car / trunk gun is:

a gun that tends to live in said vehicle
it is independent of your carry choice
It is often a long gun of some configuration, but does not NEED to be a long gun
also a firearm that is less than your favorite and could likely be a blemished / ugly gun, but one that you deem to be quite reliable despite possible inattention for months at a time
for many it is a horsepower upgrade from the carry piece
...as in if you carry an LCP, your truck gun might be a Glock 17
...if your carry piece is a Glock 17, the truck gun is more likely a shotgun, AR, AK, Marlin 336
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Termite

Post by Termite »

Precision,

I would say that is a fairly accurate summary.

Back in the 1990s I had a Sig P226 with all the "bells and whistles". I would not leave it in my vehicles because of the possibility of theft.

I bought a used FEG PA-63 in .380, when Interarms was importing them as former east German police surplus. Bought it "for a song". It was my "truck gun" for many yrs. It is absolutely reliable with any type of factory ammunition, and if it gets stolen, I'm not out much money.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

See also "Commuter Bicycle"

Reliable, not too pretty to worry about usage/storage conditions and not too spendy to make you cry when (not if) it is stolen.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

I thought for the longest time it was basically a SKS.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
randy

Post by randy »

scipioafricanus wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:41 pm I thought for the longest time it was basically a SKS.
When you could buy one and a case of ammo for it under $200, they were the basic definition.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

The reason for this post:

I thought I was pretty in tune with this. I mean I did get paid to write 2 articles on the topic, but it NEVER occurred to me that a small pistol would be THE truck gun. I guess it is a bit of confirmation bias, in that I am never without a carry piece and a truck gun (in my mind) should be an upgrade from the carry piece. An upgrade in lethality, coverable distance, capacity and ease of making a hit.

When someone referred to their LCP or J-frame as a truck gun, I was very confused. But I guess if you don't carry, then that is an upgrade.

I went from a de-bayoneted carbine Mosin (paid $89), to a Marlin 336, to an 18" pump shotgun, to a Camp 9...

My final iteration is, the 5.56 16-20" barrel AR. I have a 30 round mag of 62 gr soft points in it and one each of 62 gr soft points, 62 gr penetrator, 75 gr otm, and a 20 rounder of 77 gr Berger OTM in a bandoleer. Mags are down loaded to 28 (18) rounds for spring protection and anti jamming tendencies. They have a LPVO optic set at 1.5 power but zoomable up to 6 (and 8) respectively.

The wife has similar in her vehicle.

As my truck is our bug out vehicle, it also has a 9mm AR pistol (Glock mag) as the kidlet can use that easier. 2x17 rounders plus 2x 31 rounders.