define Truck Gun

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Termite

Re: define Truck Gun

Post by Termite »

I used to think rifles and shotguns were "the thing" for truck/car guns, because of all the reasons listed.

Then I read Fernando "FerFAL" Aguirre's books, and realized that for 95% of my self-defense needs, a handgun is the way to go.

FerFal is a huge fan of the Glock 19.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
BDK

Post by BDK »

I think it depends on the person.

IMO, it should be a carbine/SBR which shares a mag with your primary carry, and is good out to say 200 yards.

Which, pretty much, means either 5.7x28, or 10MM, or 357 mag revolver and lever action. 😂

It’s all angels dancing on pins.

In rural areas, I do like having something in a heavy enough caliber to put down an animal. (Never shot anyone/been shot, have put down a few injured/diseased animals.)
evan price

Post by evan price »

Keltec pf9 and a mossberg 500 12ga in both trucks.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Precision

Post by Precision »

BDK wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:56 pm I think it depends on the person.

IMO, it should be a carbine/SBR which shares a mag with your primary carry, and is good out to say 200 yards.

Which, pretty much, means either 5.7x28, or 10MM, or 357 mag revolver and lever action. 😂

In rural areas, I do like having something in a heavy enough caliber to put down an animal. (Never shot anyone/been shot, have put down a few injured/diseased animals.)
I gave up on ammo commonality pretty quick. Getting a 38 / 357 lever guns was too damn spendy, with a 12 month wait. The sub2k wasn't accurate past 75 yds without an optic. And I really want an AR and although there is a 9mm AR in the truck, it is for (sharing with) secondary shooters. The hitting power of a 9mm at 150yds+ is sub optimal.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Precision wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:48 pm
BDK wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:56 pm I think it depends on the person.

I gave up on ammo commonality pretty quick. Getting a 38 / 357 lever guns was too damn spendy, with a 12 month wait. The sub2k wasn't accurate past 75 yds without an optic. And I really want an AR and although there is a 9mm AR in the truck, it is for (sharing with) secondary shooters. The hitting power of a 9mm at 150yds+ is sub optimal.
Range I go to is 25 yards indoor. I'm not too bad at that range with a 229, and much better with a Sub2k that takes (226) compatible mags.

Reminds me I need to practice at longer distances.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I had to eventually come to the conclusion that mag/caliber sharing between your carbine and your pistol is stupid and counterproductive. You end up crippling the performance of your carbine, and for what? if you are carrying a long gun and pistol in a common caliber, and find yourself needing your pistol, things have gone pretty far south at that point... Your possible pistol ammo is most likely down to whatever rounds are left in the gun at the time you draw it. Even if you started out with a full load of mags common to both.

Absolutely, carry a spare mag or two for the pistol because two is one, etc. But the rest of your mag loadout should be rifle mags in an actual rifle caliber. If you are worried about your rifle breaking and leaving you with a bunch of now-useless ammo, don't buy crap equipment.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

^^what he said^^

purpose of an (underpowered) handgun is to fight your way to your long gun (with a rifle caliber).

Secondary purpose being for when rifle goes Winchester or fails without time to correct/clear the fail.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:05 am I had to eventually come to the conclusion that mag/caliber sharing between your carbine and your pistol is stupid and counterproductive. You end up crippling the performance of your carbine, and for what? if you are carrying a long gun and pistol in a common caliber, and find yourself needing your pistol, things have gone pretty far south at that point... Your possible pistol ammo is most likely down to whatever rounds are left in the gun at the time you draw it. Even if you started out with a full load of mags common to both.

Absolutely, carry a spare mag or two for the pistol because two is one, etc. But the rest of your mag loadout should be rifle mags in an actual rifle caliber. If you are worried about your rifle breaking and leaving you with a bunch of now-useless ammo, don't buy crap equipment.
In my case the Sub2k exists as really a big pistol in this scenario. It fits, folded, in a padded laptop sleeve that can live in my backpack and maybe help get me back to wherever the rifles are (which I never practice with, have to fix that too). Mag sharing lets me share ammo with whoever I just armed with my pistol.

Agreed at this point that a long gun that lives in the vehicle should not be pistol caliber.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

While in theory I really like the idea of a Pistol Caliber Carbine, in reality I've never been able to justify the expense to myself over other long guns.

And to some extent, they violate the principle of a truck gun being an inexpensive piece that you don't mind getting banged around or even losing if need be.

In my case that's been various guns at various times; Mini-14 bought second hand, SKS after I sold of the Ruger, or a Mossberg 500. Guns I already had or could buy relatively inexpensively at the time, with not a lot invested in them.

There is a sub-category I have at times: Traveling Gun: firearm in vehicle while on cross country trips. Not something I leave in the truck all the time. That's usually when the AR goes in the back.

All of these are supplemental to my CCW piece.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
BDK

Post by BDK »

NPR, all guns suck and hate you.

I’ve seen/broken everything. I may have a special talent that way. 😂