Rethinking carry ammo

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
BDK

Rethinking carry ammo

Post by BDK »

Since almost all shots miss, at least when cops shoot🤣, is straight line penetration/ease of shooting/practice what really matters?

Kinda thinking a flat nosed rimless 25 ACP “magnum” makes the most sense, if it could get a 60gr bullet up to 22 rifle speeds/at least meet penetration standards
Vonz90

Re: Rethinking carry ammo

Post by Vonz90 »

BDK wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:43 pm Since almost all shots miss, at least when cops shoot🤣, is straight line penetration/ease of shooting/practice what really matters?

Kinda thinking a flat nosed rimless 25 ACP “magnum” makes the most sense, if it could get a 60gr bullet up to 22 rifle speeds/at least meet penetration standards
You say "carry" but your comment is more towards police duty pistol. Those are very different use cases.

The average non police self defense number of rounds fired is 1 (actually less than one when factoring in 90% of the time it is 0, as the bad guy unasses the location when they see a firearm).

The police have a much higher round count per incident. Of course they are dealing with different things and different TTPs (and on average a lot less worried about the legal repercussions of pulling the trigger).

So for police, yes that could male some sense, like a 5.7x28 or whatever. For personal carry, I think much less so.
Precision

Post by Precision »

my understanding of what matters is getting the first hit. If you get the first hit most often you win.

crazy jihadist not included
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Precision wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 pm my understanding of what matters is getting the first hit. If you get the first hit most often you win.

Sounds reasonable. Even in a home invasion with multiple intruders, if they see their buddy take a hit most would probably remember they had somewhere else to be.

I guess the real question comes down to what you expect that you need to fight. Somewhat reasonable people that will realize they have already lost the fight or someone(s) out of their mind that you need to actually disable.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Cobar wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:19 am
Precision wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 pm my understanding of what matters is getting the first hit. If you get the first hit most often you win.

Sounds reasonable. Even in a home invasion with multiple intruders, if they see their buddy take a hit most would probably remember they had somewhere else to be.

I guess the real question comes down to what you expect that you need to fight. Somewhat reasonable people that will realize they have already lost the fight or someone(s) out of their mind that you need to actually disable.
All I know is what people who study this stuff provide data on. Then I have my own real world defensive gun uses. roughly a dozen times and zero shots fired. Only one was wacked out on drugs, but still saw the gun and did a sub 10 second 100 yard dash AWAY. The rest either ran away, assumed the fetal position or some other "OH SHIT dude has a gun and I don't want to die" attitude.

For me caliber didn't matter. For the record it was .40 S&W (Glock 22), 9mm (Glock 17 and S&W M&P, and 5.56 on an 18" barrel quad rail. In one very odd situation it was a levergun 30-30 with a drunk guy driving (very fast) beside the road in front of my house at 2 am, jumping his jeep over driveways.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Precision wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:45 am All I know is what people who study this stuff provide data on. Then I have my own real world defensive gun uses. roughly a dozen times and zero shots fired. Only one was wacked out on drugs, but still saw the gun and did a sub 10 second 100 yard dash AWAY. The rest either ran away, assumed the fetal position or some other "OH SHIT dude has a gun and I don't want to die" attitude.
I was thinking more about those police shooting videos where the guy is all hopped up on something and the police just keep shooting and the guy just keeps going like some horror movie zombie. Those situations have to be so rare that you are probably better off preparing to be struck by lightning. There is probably a reason everyone has settled on 9mm or some slight variation one way or the other.
randy

Post by randy »

I carry however many rounds are in a standard magazine, +1 in the chamber (so 18 for the Glock-17). I also carry a reload, especially with autoloaders in case of a malfunction and I need to drop the mag, so another 17. When carrying using my Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, I carry 2 loaded mags to balance out the pistol.

So, up to 52 rounds of 9MM, but not because I'm expecting to need that. As stated above, just having the gun will probably negate the need for using it, and doubtful if I need more than a few rounds if I do have to use it (which in almost 20 years of having a CHL, has never been close to happening).

Now, if I was going someplace where I expected to need 52 rounds of ammo, I'm either not going, or am grabbing a long gun with a full load of ammo for it (plus the pistol and it's load out)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

randy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:52 pm I carry however many rounds are in a standard magazine, +1 in the chamber (so 18 for the Glock-17). I also carry a reload, especially with autoloaders in case of a malfunction and I need to drop the mag, so another 17. When carrying using my Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, I carry 2 loaded mags to balance out the pistol.

So, up to 52 rounds of 9MM, but not because I'm expecting to need that. As stated above, just having the gun will probably negate the need for using it, and doubtful if I need more than a few rounds if I do have to use it (which in almost 20 years of having a CHL, has never been close to happening).

Now, if I was going someplace where I expected to need 52 rounds of ammo, I'm either not going, or am grabbing a long gun with a full load of ammo for it (plus the pistol and it's load out)
If it's that bad and I can't avoid the area, then armor to go with the long gun, pistol and a boat load of ammo and hopefully some friends.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:49 am
randy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:52 pm I carry however many rounds are in a standard magazine, +1 in the chamber (so 18 for the Glock-17). I also carry a reload, especially with autoloaders in case of a malfunction and I need to drop the mag, so another 17. When carrying using my Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, I carry 2 loaded mags to balance out the pistol.

If it's that bad and I can't avoid the area, then armor to go with the long gun, pistol and a boat load of ammo and hopefully some friends.
Yeah, I go armed everywhere, but if I would not go unarmed - I don't go. I suppose some situations could happen, but I am not a cop and am not in the .mil any longer.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Do you just want to carry a smaller or lighter gun? I say stick with the basics.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.