Remington 710

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

Remington 710

Post by Vonz90 »

So have temporarily aquire one of the steel receiver 710s in 30-06. It was my father's backup deer rifle, but unfortunately he can't use it since his eyes went bad a few years ago.

It is temporary as my intention is to give it to my son in law who has expressed an interest in taking up shooting/hunting.

I have shot it before on a few occasions and remember it being fine if unspectacular.

Any thoughts or value based scope recommendations?
D5CAV

Re: Remington 710

Post by D5CAV »

Vonz90 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:07 amAny thoughts or value based scope recommendations?
Yes: https://botach.com/sun-optics-10x44-30m ... ty-scopes/

I bought one when on sale for a little over $100 about a year ago. At $70, it's a steal.

A little heavy, but that means it will probably hold up to some reasonable recoil and abuse.

I haven't had a chance to mount it yet and see how it boxes or holds zero, but the optics are surprising good. Nothing of European quality, but as good as Leupold.

A decade ago, I wouldn't touch any China-made optics no matter how cheap, but they really upped their game.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I believe the currently made "Redfield" scopes are still basically a Leupold VX-1.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:28 am I believe the currently made "Redfield" scopes are still basically a Leupold VX-1.
Yup, with last generation coatings on the glass.

Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40, about $220 on the 'zon.
Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40, about $150 on the 'zon.
Burris fullfield II 3-9x40, about $145 on the 'zon.

I personally would spring for the Diamondback.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt