Hogs

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Candyman

Re: Hogs

Post by Candyman »

I built an AR in .277 Wolverine for hog hunting. I’m pushing a 90gr bullet at 2700 fps out the muzzle. I haven’t had a chance to take it hunting yet, but my buddy took a hog with it and was impressed with it.
FFD4B855-CDFF-46C0-957E-9ACC3BBD96DA.jpeg
DEB5D125-23DF-4733-B820-2C91EAB8BA95.jpeg
I have a good bit of nerve damage in my shoulders and neck and I was a little worried about building a 458 SOCOM. I contacted my friend, Zack, over at Aklys Defence and asked him to design me a muzzle brake that would work to reduce felt recoil.
He made me a sweet muzzle brake that works great. Recoil is like shooting 12 ga skeet loads. I have the prototype on my rifle.
I can’t wait to shoot a hog with this rifle.
1BAADAA9-7A82-4748-977F-838BDA08EA92.jpeg
Aklys Defense is now selling the muzzle brake. It’s called the Bihm Brake, named after me. :lol:
https://aklysdefense.com/products/parts ... zzle-brake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

That brake looks like something the ATFU might take issue with.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:34 pm That brake looks like something the ATFU might take issue with.
There's no shoulder on the thing, and despite superficial appearance to a monocore, its no closer to being one than the average slant brake.

Unlike SIGs "good idea" :roll:
Candyman wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:42 amI built an AR in .277 Wolverine for hog hunting.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with the Wolverine over say 6.8 SPC? The only real advantage I can see it having is it can use standard AR mags and bolts. For that kind of compatibility, it gives up a bit of muzzle energy, as it has 8 grains less capacity, iirc.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

HTRN wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:04 pm
Netpackrat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:34 pm That brake looks like something the ATFU might take issue with.
There's no shoulder on the thing, and despite superficial appearance to a monocore, its no closer to being one than the average slant brake.

Unlike SIGs "good idea" :roll:
Candyman wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:42 amI built an AR in .277 Wolverine for hog hunting.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with the Wolverine over say 6.8 SPC? The only real advantage I can see it having is it can use standard AR mags and bolts. For that kind of compatibility, it gives up a bit of muzzle energy, as it has 8 grains less capacity, iirc.
The fact that all that is needed is a barrel chambered for .277 Wolverine to build the rifle using standard AR 15 parts. No special mags or bolt. Plus I don’t plan on shooting beyond 250 yards. And commercial brass was not available when I built it. But I had a butt load of LC 5.56 brass on hand.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Takes the same bullet as a .45-70 if you get into reloading. It is a little spendy but most proper hunting ammo is anyway.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Bullet commonality between .45-70 and .458 Socom and the availability of some AR rifle seeds are the only reason I considered the latter; I've bought quite a few bullets already for the lever gun that could be share and have spare AR parts sufficient for a build given the proper bolt and barrel/muzzle device.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Rich Jordan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:55 am Bullet commonality between .45-70 and .458 Socom and the availability of some AR rifle seeds are the only reason I considered the latter; I've bought quite a few bullets already for the lever gun that could be share and have spare AR parts sufficient for a build given the proper bolt and barrel/muzzle device.
The Bihm Brake from Aklys Defense is the only 458 SOCOM brake that I know that actually works.
3E18A9E9-EF3D-4A22-B6CF-2D2FBCA15FCB.jpeg
49AE3D47-7BA0-4E01-9B12-7EFEDB3849FE.jpeg
Yep, that’s the ejected round. That’s a friend shooting a 405 gr hand load from it. The first word out of his mouth was, Wow.
E758552F-ECB8-43CC-BDA7-544836156452.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

What is this break you speak of!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Got that property in South Central Texas. Backs up on a year round creek. A couple hundred feet of frontage.

Haven't been on the property that much (still renting it). Speculation is that hogs should come thru that creek bottom and up onto the property.
A crap ton of axis and whitetail come on regularly. Thinking some of the elms need to go in favor of Pecans in hopes of drawing more of the tasty wildlife in.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Combat Controller
Site Admin

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:51 pm Got that property in South Central Texas. Backs up on a year round creek. A couple hundred feet of frontage.

Haven't been on the property that much (still renting it). Speculation is that hogs should come thru that creek bottom and up onto the property.
A crap ton of axis and whitetail come on regularly. Thinking some of the elms need to go in favor of Pecans in hopes of drawing more of the tasty wildlife in.
That sounds very likely. Got a game cam?