Since the M17 is the new standard pistol...

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Langenator

Since the M17 is the new standard pistol...

Post by Langenator »

When will the CMP start offering M9s?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
g-man

Re: Since the M17 is the new standard pistol...

Post by g-man »

Every single .mil m9 I've laid my hands on was a rattling piece of shot-out crap. Which probably means there are crates and crates of un-issued, new-condition pistols in a storeroom somewhere...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Honestly, you could have racks of essentially brand new M9s (and, going forward, M17s) in the arms room of of any large unit, especially (in the Army, at least), in Headquarters companies (HHCs).

Why? Because you can't zero an M9, since it has fixed sights. So a soldier (usually officers, but sometimes others like medics) doesn't have to qualify with their assigned pistol, they just use any pistol.

So when it comes time to run the M9 qual range, they only take as many pistols as there are shooting lanes, maybe a few extras in case of breakage.

I recall when I was a Battalion Adjutant, the only time I actually qualified with the M9 on a pop up range. That range only had 4 lanes, so they only brought maybe 6 pistols. The arms room had around 30 pistols.

So it's entirely possible, in theory anyway, to have a pistol that was issued to, say, the Division HQ company of the 82nd Airborne (who always gets the new stuff first) back in the 80s, that has never actually been fired since it left the factory.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I hate the M9, when I was in I swapped it for the M11 as soon as I could. Funny enough I owned one of the buy back M17's from the 101st for two years an just sold it.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
randy

Post by randy »

Probably because I was brought up with the Browning Hi Power, I never liked the M9. I found it clunky and did not fit my hand very well. And the fact that I consider a DA Auto a hardware solution to a training issue.

Besides, the safety works backwards. ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:42 pm Probably because I was brought up with the Browning Hi Power, I never liked the M9. I found it clunky and did not fit my hand very well. And the fact that I consider a DA Auto a hardware solution to a training issue.

Besides, the safety works backwards. ;)
I am with you on the Hi Power, it is a much better pistol. I had a FEG Hi Power clone when the Nav switched to the M9 and had to sell it and get something DA/SA because switching between the two screwed me up too much.

That said, the M9 is not a bad pistol, I ended up being pretty decent with one and it was reliable. I like DA/SA with no safety for carrying actually, although my current piece is striker.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I hated the M9 for some of the same reasons Randy listed. I find the ones that like them are people with large hands, those that were in the service and the M9 is the only pistol they are familiar with, or the ones that loved it in the Call of Duty video games.
My son loves the M9, he’s also a big fan of Call of Duty and has big hands. He even shoots it pretty good.
9FECC9F2-8636-4599-92C0-B19D535E6555.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Wait, whut?!!! Candyman?

Just recently had a photo from ~15 years ago popup of your son holding my M-1 Carbine stock in a progress pic you had fwd'd.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

blackeagle603 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:11 pm Wait, whut?!!! Candyman?

Just recently had a photo from ~15 years ago popup of your son holding my M-1 Carbine stock in a progress pic you had fwd'd.
Wow!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Welcome back, Candyman!
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives