8.6 Blackout

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
HTRN

8.6 Blackout

Post by HTRN »

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/8-6-creedmoor/

An interesting concept, and one of my previous ideas mirrors one of the main concepts/ selling points - a short barreled 338 would be absolutely murder as a short range SDW - even with goblins wearing level III armor - it may not go through, but it will make you hate life. Multiple broken ribs are seriously not fun, I should know, I broke two in a car accident five years ago. The diffence was, I was thinking of something in 338 Federal with a 16" barrel shooting 250 grn accubonds. :shock:

One thing that does get me in an absolutely frothing rage, is the bullshit they're shoveling about why they didn't simply neck up an existing cartridge, like the BR(oh wait, JD Jones of SSK already did that, and called it the 338 Whisper), the Creedmoor or the x47 Lapua. They bring up, they wanted it short enough to shoot the long heavyweights, but when the BR exists(and oh predates both the Creedmoor and x47l by more than and a quarter century) and is in fact, shorter than the new blackout case, their excuse starts smell like week old fish.

The answer is of course, money.

The name is almost certainly copyrighted, so if you want to sell anything 8.6 blackout, you're gonna pay a royalty fee.

I guarantee that it's going to be a repeat of what happened with 300 blackout - no brass to be had and only ammo for sale is $$$ premium loadings(because, quite frankly ammo is more profitable than selling brass, and premium ammo is more profitable than Walmart econo ammo), only worse, because of the ongoing firearms/ammunition insanity. Add in that Remington (who was one of the big movers pushing the 300) is more or less defunct...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Re: 8.6 Blackout

Post by Netpackrat »

You probably mean trademarked and not copyrighted, but SAAMI won't accept a spec for a trademarked cartridge. Lack of SAAMI specification is the kiss of death in terms of getting any widespread use of a cartridge. Kind of like how 300 Whisper was around for a long time but didn't really go anywhere, until AAC came along and submitted a cartridge with slightly different chamber dimensions (which oh by the way fixed some of the problems with Whisper) with no proprietary strings attached. Then you saw the widespread adoption that JDJ has consistently failed to achieve with his proprietary cartridges. I don't know whether that is the case with the 8.6 thing, but unless everybody gets to make parts and components for it, you won't see it go anywhere.

I haven't tried to buy ammo since pre-covid so I have no idea what is currently out there for 300blk... I dump surplus 5.56 brass into the XL750 case feeder, pump the handle, and 300blk brass comes out...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

.300 blk is not too bad commercially. I started shooting it a lot finally and now need to get dies and brass. But Academy has it for around .50 a round which isn't great but I managed to grab 300 rounds the other day of subsonic.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

In practical terms, what is effective range of suppressed 300 Blk?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 pm In practical terms, what is effective range of suppressed 300 Blk?
150 meters thereabouts
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 pm In practical terms, what is effective range of suppressed 300 Blk?
My guess is you meant to ask what is the effective range of subsonic 300blk, since you can (and should) also use a suppressor with supersonic 300blk. In that case, you are looking at similar ballistics as 7.62x39, with slightly less drop and energy retention at range since the .308" bullets BLK uses generally have a better BC than .310"/.311" 7.62x39 bullets. x39 starts out with a slightly higher muzzle energy but the advantage quickly switches to BLK as the range increases.

Subsonic BLK.... Well, you are talking roughly the muzzle energy of .45ACP but with a far superior BC, so yeah don't expect more than 100-150 but it's more complicated than that, since 300blk subs usually have crap accuracy. My 300blk SBR will put supers into just over an inch at 100, but the best I have seen from subs are fist sized groups (my blk bolt action is much better than that with subs, but paradoxically doesn't shoot supers as well as te SBR). So with most rifles you are going to not only run out of energy quickly (and make a .45-70 look like a flat shooting round), but you're likely looking at pie plate accuracy at or beyond 150.

The real purpose of 300blk as originally designed (remember it was in response to a DOD requirement), is to be able to murder somebody in their bed without waking up the person sleeping next to them, and then switch mags to be able to fight your way back out past their pissed off friends.

As I see it, the 8.6 fills a different role. I think the idea is to stay subsonic, while still retaining enough energy for humane/ethical hunting. That's something that subsonic 300blk has struggled with.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Onto some property now in Texas with way too many *VLFV. But am a bit close to neighbors for going loud...

*Very Large Furbearing Varmints (as well as many slightly smaller VLFV of the Axis variety)
Last edited by blackeagle603 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

And I just spent the past half hour following discussions of subsonic 45-70.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Greg wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 am ...subsonic 45-70.
Why do that when you can do this?

45 Colt mo better

g-man

Post by g-man »

Is it though? If the limiting factor is the speed of sound, you’d likely want to chuck the largest (read: heaviest), best designed (hollow point, good BC, etc) rock that you can. And you’re never going to really be useful far beyond ~150 yards anyway, because you can’t throw the pill any faster to make up for cross-section/etc./etc. so I’m that regard, this makes some sense. But why not go with a .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf out of a standard AR platform, since both offer bullet weights up to 600gr? And really, the Beowulf runs into some of the same problems: proprietary yadda yadda means ammo is not exactly available everywhere.

If the question a company is trying to answer is “how can we get into this market?” instead of “how can we build a better mousetrap?”, I’m less interested. Especially when you can’t say “I’ve got a .50cal pistol” when you build one.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum