8.6 Blackout

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

Re: 8.6 Blackout

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:34 am
Greg wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:23 am ...subsonic 45-70.
Why do that when you can do this?

45 Colt mo better
This seems like a very rational approach.

If one needed big slow pills from an AR, isn't that what 458 SOCOM is for?
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I think that .458 is ballistically more efficient than other .45 options listed so far.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Sure, compared to an AR that can take pointed bullets, the .45 Colt is not the best choice. But if you are considering subsonic .45-70, the Colt can do that out of a much smaller and lighter rifle. Yeah, you give up some of the bullet weight that's possible, but 300+ grains out of a light and handy carbine with greater mag capacity is nothing to sneeze at.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:03 pm Sure, compared to an AR that can take pointed bullets, the .45 Colt is not the best choice. But if you are considering subsonic .45-70, the Colt can do that out of a much smaller and lighter rifle. Yeah, you give up some of the bullet weight that's possible, but 300+ grains out of a light and handy carbine with greater mag capacity is nothing to sneeze at.
Also doesn’t hurt that the action design lends itself to the same sort of muffling as a bolt-action, while the AR platform will make more noise with the can. Once again, an application of the power of “and” here solves most issues.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:03 pm Sure, compared to an AR that can take pointed bullets, the .45 Colt is not the best choice. But if you are considering subsonic .45-70, the Colt can do that out of a much smaller and lighter rifle. Yeah, you give up some of the bullet weight that's possible, but 300+ grains out of a light and handy carbine with greater mag capacity is nothing to sneeze at.
I just started reading that cause heaviest bullets I could think of off the top of my head and when I started looking I was surprised at how much discussion I found, plus there was commercially available ammo apparently meant to be subsonic with max bullet weight. (Edit to add, like 550 gr)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr