0% receivers

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: 0% receivers

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:31 pm Anyone making multi-head units for paralleling buildup?
Yeah they are out there, but I don't know a lot about them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aren't the multi heads mostly used for different color/mat'l in prints?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:19 pm Aren't the multi heads mostly used for different color/mat'l in prints?
There are both types. Prusa is working on a new CoreXY design printer with a 360mm cube volume and a tool changer with up to 5 different heads/colors, that is supposed to be out later this year. Their current solution is the "Multi Material Unit" for the standard Mk3S+ that will change the filament going to the single print head. It's pretty wasteful of time and material though compared to a multi head unit due to the "wipe tower" that it builds next to the print object, which it needs to clear the previous color out of the nozzle and hot end before it can start printing the new filament.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

The one we had at my old job had a two nozzle head. They ran one for normal material and the other a material that could print out supports then be dissolved in hot water. Worked pretty well. I don't know that I have seen multi-head printers with them working at the same time but I am sure it is possible and I am sure they are expensive. You would also need a slicer that kept the heads from crashing in to each other. Like NPR (I think) said, faster production usually means more printers.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, I was trying to imagine how the equipment is/will evolve to improve thru put.

Sort of the intro of flying probe testers for Printed Wiring Boards that came in to do prototypes. Started with single probe pair accessing nets on as single side at a time. Now we see 8 or even 16 probes running simultaneously on both side A and B. It's like some Rise of the Machines nightmare to watch those spiders flying all those legs from point to point. Sort of mesmerizing.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

We will see what happens with Uncle Joe's "Ghost Guns", but TMGN thinks it's DOA because of 0% receivers: https://themachinegunnest.com/bidens-gh ... -receiver/
In the 364-page rule, we can see that the Biden admin intends to ban “ghost guns” by creating a new class of highly regulated items by redefining the term “firearm” to include parts and collections of parts that the ATF now considers to be “readily” convertible into functional firearms.
It appears that the way the ATF wants to write the regulation, if you are bringing a trunk full of empty beer cans to the recycling center, you could be charged with "constructive possession" of a 0% receiver.
While the DOJ may be able to convince a judge that an 80% lower is likely to be made into a gun, a block of aluminum is a much harder sell.
We will see. As one lawyer told me "A DA can indict a ham sandwich".
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jered

Post by Jered »

So...are they going to arrest this journalist and the cops who helped him for their violations of federal gun laws?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Now they got me looking at a 500mm Vcore3 RatRig..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

Jered wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:30 am So...are they going to arrest this journalist and the cops who helped him for their violations of federal gun laws?
It's not a Fox News reporter, so I'd say the answer is: No.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:49 am Now they got me looking at a 500mm Vcore3 RatRig..
Ratrig customer service apparently leaves a bit to be desired, and it sounds like their parts are printed from PETG and not ABS like the Voron parts. That may matter if you are planning to do a lot of enclosed printing of difficult, high temp materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAN9zTTPUq8

He has a longer, more detailed version of the video as well.

I have started construction of a "Bear Mod" version of the Prusa that I already have, from scratch (most people convert an existing Prusa). I haven't gotten super far yet.... I have all the printed parts made, and I assembled the basic frame structure, but I haven't gotten any further than that. I am going with a 100mm extended Z axis (total of 320mm Z height), along with the dedicated Bear extruder (supposed to be better than factory Prusa extruder) and 10mm Z axis linear rods (upgraded from standard 8mm). The extended Z will mean I have to compile my own firmware from source.

Ultimately I think I want to build a Voron 2.4, but this is a warm-up project to get my feet wet with building a printer from scratch, that is a modification of the printer I am already using, so not as much of a leap and it will use most of the same components as what I already have. If I think I have time I may do a build thread like I have done with some other projects.