9mm trouble shooting (luger/BHP)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

9mm trouble shooting (luger/BHP)

Post by Combat Controller »

Gah. I went to the range the other day with my new Luger (Mitchell 1993 stainless) and my venerable BHP with it's new barrel. So the BHP is having a few rounds not pull all the way free of the chamber and I realize that if I shot out the barrel I probably need to replace the extractor spring as well. It is time after 100k+ rounds in 30 years. So That is probably the problem with that one but the Luger is an odd duck. I shot it NIB no cleaning first time and had two failures in three mags but didn't think anything of it. Now cleaned and lubed it is ramming the following round high and almost but not quite stove piping a loaded round. The spring is hella stiff, it may be my rounds are not hot enough (although WWB is supposed to be the most reliable in Lugers) or something.... I ran out of ammo before I could shoot it with one round and see if the toggle is locking open. Any Luger advice out there? Mag maybe? It is a NIB new production shooter. I have read they can be finicky but...

Thoughts?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Gunnuts

Re: 9mm trouble shooting (luger/BHP)

Post by Gunnuts »

I bought one of those Mitchell lugers years ago and it was a piece of shit. Even sent it back to them and when it came back, the barrel wasn't even tightened all the way. Sorry for the bad news, but if you find someone who can get it working let me know who it is, because I have so much money in mine to try to get it working already, selling it would be a huge loss, not to mention a ripoff to anyone buying it. :x
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Don't Lugers like standard NATO 9 rather than say commercial 115?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Combat Controller
Site Admin

scipioafricanus wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:16 am Don't Lugers like standard NATO 9 rather than say commercial 115?
That is what I have heard. I am going to bring a bunch of ammo with me to the range including +P stuff and see what I can see.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Gunnuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:14 pm I bought one of those Mitchell lugers years ago and it was a piece of shit. Even sent it back to them and when it came back, the barrel wasn't even tightened all the way. Sorry for the bad news, but if you find someone who can get it working let me know who it is, because I have so much money in mine to try to get it working already, selling it would be a huge loss, not to mention a ripoff to anyone buying it. :x
I will report back. The first 3 mags one handed shot a 1' group. I was very impressed.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Combat Controller wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:31 am
Gunnuts wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:14 pm I bought one of those Mitchell lugers years ago and it was a piece of shit. Even sent it back to them and when it came back, the barrel wasn't even tightened all the way. Sorry for the bad news, but if you find someone who can get it working let me know who it is, because I have so much money in mine to try to get it working already, selling it would be a huge loss, not to mention a ripoff to anyone buying it. :x
I will report back. The first 3 mags one handed shot a 1' group. I was very impressed.
Thank you.

IIRC, mine actually shot pretty accurately, too, when it fired when it was supposed to.

When it started not firing on trigger press and firing when the trigger was released occasionally, it pretty much jumped the shark with me.

Front sight shot off, too.

I've been pretty disgruntled about that one for a long time. I really wanted a shooter luger and didn't want to have to pay four figures for real one.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Dang thing started to disassemble itself today. Can't get the lever back over, I think I need to totally strip it. This is becoming frustrating. It does lock open on one round though, and it's hitting high otherwise. Tried one mecgar mage that seemed too long before it started to really fail. My .458 socom also is not feeding so I had a grumpy day at the range. Although cleaning the BHP got it working again.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Sorry to hear you're having more trouble.

I'd always hoped mine was a "Friday before a holiday" manufactured one, but after the factory return trip experience, I think the lemon may go to the bone. :x
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Everything I am reading seems to say its the mags. My MECGAR mag is too long and does not have the scallop in the front the two Mitchells have. I figured out the lever, I think the over long mag caused me to put pressure on the pin and knock it slightly loose. I cleaned it and now am going to try again that it is reassembled and I know how to fix.prevent the other issue. Will report back!
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Ok, I figured out what's up with the Luger from careful hand cycling. I believe I need to have the frame and barrel profiled closer together to make a smoother ramp, it is currently a sharp edge and jacking the round up at an angle.