9mm trouble shooting (luger/BHP)

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Johnnyreb

Re: 9mm trouble shooting (luger/BHP)

Post by Johnnyreb »

I've never had a luger but I have a Walther P-38, actually a postwar P1. I remember years back I had a problem with it. It would fire once and feed jam the 2nd round. What I figured out was that some 9mm rounds are seated a little farther down in the case than others, making them a little bit shorter. And my P-39 likes the shorter ones.

If I recall right, back then I had some Tula steel case it liked but it didn't like the brass case PMC rounds. Couldn't tell you what it likes now, haven't fired it in a few years.

Maybe that has something to do with your Luger, since they were both made by the Germans. And I'd bet the Germans made sure all their brands of 9mm all measured exactly the same.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Gunnuts wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:53 pm I've been pretty disgruntled about that one for a long time. I really wanted a shooter luger and didn't want to have to pay four figures for real one.
I'm a shooter, not a collector, so it was awhile before I found a P08 that was priced for me. 3 figures, not 4.

Yeah, it's something a collector would vomit all over.

Made in 1912. WW1 German Army acceptance marks. Ridden hard and put away wet during WW1. Rebuilt in German arsenal for WW2 with politically incorrect German Army acceptance marks. Fought on Eastern Front. Captured by USSR and rebuilt in Soviet Arsenal (bunch of electro-pencil marked and parked replacement parts - typical Soviet), then imported in 1990s to USA (USA import stamp, I think CAI).

It wouldn't work well when I first got it. I went to Brownells and bought a full Wolff spring kit. Now it works with the reliability of a Glock. If the ammo runs in a Glock, it runs in the Luger. Yeah, Aguila didn't work very well, but that garbage choked the Glock as well.

Whenever someone sees it at the range and talks about "Grandpa's bring back from WW2" and how it never works, I tell him:

1. Replace the springs. It probably has springs that were last replaced in 1938.
2. Pay the stupid price for original German Army magazines and only buy the ones that hurt your thumb to slide the follower.

Regarding your Mitchell Luger, my advice is to either dump it on a dealer at half what you paid for it, or sell it to someone at maybe a 30% loss, but be honest about what a POS it is. I wouldn't even keep it for parts for my old PO8.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:00 am 2. Pay the stupid price for original German Army magazines and only buy the ones that hurt your thumb to slide the follower.
I've heard that the Mec Gar mags are halfway decent, but that was in somebody else's gun...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

D5CAV wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:00 am
Gunnuts wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:53 pm I've been pretty disgruntled about that one for a long time. I really wanted a shooter luger and didn't want to have to pay four figures for real one.
Regarding your Mitchell Luger, my advice is to either dump it on a dealer at half what you paid for it, or sell it to someone at maybe a 30% loss, but be honest about what a POS it is. I wouldn't even keep it for parts for my old PO8.
I always keep my failures as a reminder to not become so fixated on having something that I'll jump on whatever becomes available.

I have two truly shit guns, the Mitchell and a Universal M1 carbine.

I believe the Mitchell came from the factory a piece of shit, the carbine had been fucked up by some one else (bolt/carrier so soft it deformed when I shot it) and sold to me by a dealer.

I won't be part of ripping off anyone by giving someone the opportunity to do it to them. Ethics are a bitch sometimes. :P
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Gunnuts wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:12 pm
I have two truly shit guns, the Mitchell and a Universal M1 carbine.

I believe the Mitchell came from the factory a piece of shit, the carbine had been fucked up by some one else (bolt/carrier so soft it deformed when I shot it) and sold to me by a dealer.

I won't be part of ripping off anyone by giving someone the opportunity to do it to them. Ethics are a bitch sometimes. :P
I had a Universal M1 way back in the day. It was not a total piece of crap (I did kill a deer with it) but not far from it.

I bought it figuring it would be a fun plinker that I could also use for brush deer hunting, but picky on ammo and not compatible with standard M1 Carbine magazines. Also the sights were flimsy/not really right. Sold it before I went to Boat School and later bought a Savage 30-06 that I had for a long time.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

My buddy wants to trade me a Marlin 336 in .44 mag for it. He also knows it is a piece of shit. So I think I am taking the trade on Sunday.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

<Napolean Dynamite voice: ON>

LUCKEEEE!
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Combat Controller wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:39 pm My buddy wants to trade me a Marlin 336 in .44 mag for it. He also knows it is a piece of shit. So I think I am taking the trade on Sunday.
If he was my buddy, and I wanted to keep him as my buddy, I'd seal the deal with a Benjamin or two in his pocket as a gesture of goodwill.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Yeah, he has gotten a few good deals from me lately but I'll keep him sweet.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Combat Controller wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:59 pm Yeah, he has gotten a few good deals from me lately but I'll keep him sweet.
Tell him that you consider it a fair deal, but the Benjamin is so you never have to hear anything about that Mitchell Luger ever again. :lol: