School me on scope rails

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

School me on scope rails

Post by Weetabix »

I'd mentioned elsewhere I'm building up a 10/22.

The donor gun had a generic scope rail and an older Weaver scope on it. I bought a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7 Rimfire and mounted it on the old rail and rings. Shot great.

I put a new stock on and decided I didn't like the eye relief, so I put a Kidd rail on it then remounted the rings and Leupold. Now, it shoots way low after I adjusted the turret as far as it would go.

Gunsmith at the range shot it, said everything looked right on the installation and wondered if it's a 20MOA rail, but from my understanding, those point the scope down to allow you to compensate for drop at long ranges, so I can't see how that would do it. Also, from browsing their site, Kidd doesn't sell a 20MOA 10/22 rail for a factory receiver. I plan to take it off later and mic it in a few places.

I could go back to the old rail and live with the eye relief, but I really want to figure out what's going on here. I don't see how the stock could be the issue, but I'm willing to learn.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look at or for?

Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
blackeagle603

Re: School me on scope rails

Post by blackeagle603 »

Other than Kentucky windage? ;)

/following/
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Can't adjust the scope far enough in the rings? Maybe the new rails are not sitting flush?
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Combat Controller wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:49 pm Can't adjust the scope far enough in the rings? Maybe the new rails are not sitting flush?
Gunsmith said it looked OK. I haven't gotten back to it, but I will take it apart soon.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D