Best carry 1911 and .357 sizes

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Best carry 1911 and .357 sizes

Post by Combat Controller »

It has been covered before but I have been reminded that while there is a place for almost every type and size the 3" combat magnum and the 4/4.25 .45 ACP are really great all around firearms. Easy to handle and carry these are my two favorites. Mostly the .357 is carried hunting/hiking/outdoors but it it doubles as a CCW for in and out of town carry suitably. I switch off with a .44 mag snubby in bigger bear country as a backup but the followup with .357 is faster. Also after that rather comprehensive study of bears killed with handguns I feel confident with the .357 as one can. As for the 1911, 'nuff said....
IMG-1205.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Re: Best carry 1911 and .357 sizes

Post by HTRN »

I always liked the Springfield V10 compacts as a carry gun. Not exactly fun to shoot, especially with +p ammo, but it's a ported 3" 1911, so it kinda goes with the territory.

Today, I wouldn't carry a 1911. Because I actually like them, and would hate to lose one if it had to be used. To me, a carry gun isn't something to be cherish and admired, it's a disposable appliance that relatively cheap to replace.

So 45 acp? Hello Glock 30.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I still want to swap my 649 barrel for a 3" barrel and machine the cylinder for moon clips. It seems like an advantage to do so. Thankfully I have other hobbies and expenses which preclude such silliness.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:34 am Today, I wouldn't carry a 1911. Because I actually like them, and would hate to lose one if it had to be used. To me, a carry gun isn't something to be cherish and admired, it's a disposable appliance that relatively cheap to replace.
The same reason I replaced My Browning Hi-Power as a carry gun with a Glock. Is Gun. Is shoot. Replaceable at any gun store or ELGS.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:34 amToday, I wouldn't carry a 1911. Because I actually like them, and would hate to lose one if it had to be used. To me, a carry gun isn't something to be cherish and admired, it's a disposable appliance that relatively cheap to replace.
All my truck guns are Keltec PF9s for this reason.
And I carry a Smith Bodyguard Airweight model 38 or a Sig P239. Or an NAA 22 mag.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!