Custom (ground up) firearms: a Bad Idea Thread

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
JKosprey

Custom (ground up) firearms: a Bad Idea Thread

Post by JKosprey »

So, if somebody had a firearm idea that they wanted to build a prototype of, how would you go about it? Obviously this would be quite expensive, and you'd need access to someone who knows their way around a CNC machine, but I assume that there's more to it than that.

It's a completely theoretical exercise for me, so here's the pitch: I think it would be super nifty to scale up something like a Marlin model 60 receiver to .357 magnum. I'm picturing a 10 round carbine roughly the length and weight of the existing lever action carbines, loading from a tube mag with a loading gate.

I assume the receiver would be the real sticking point here. If you could get that made, could you build a Frankengun from a collection of existing parts? I'm picturing say, using a tube and barrel from a Henry, or a barrel that went on via barrel nut like a Savage. I recognize that it would be complicated and extremely expensive, but would it be possible to get it made? A brief Google showed a variety of "ground up" services for bolt actions and ARs but nobody making custom actions or prototypes from the ground up.
HTRN

Re: Custom (ground up) firearms: a Bad Idea Thread

Post by HTRN »

Gun Jesus has your answer:
https://youtu.be/CnR89R3G77c

Short answer, don't
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

HTRN wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 am Gun Jesus has your answer:
https://youtu.be/CnR89R3G77c

Short answer, don't
Praise be upon him.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

OTOH, there is lots of room for innovation without completely re-inventing the wheel. He makes a good point about doing your firearms experimenting as a hobbyist and having a "real" job for income, but another point he doesn't mention, is there is a significant legal benefit to having the "real" job be a firearms related business that would require one to have an FFL/SOT/ITAR anyway. Because as a hobbyist, it's seldom practical to go to the trouble of getting those licenses, but if you want to experiment with designs/manufacturing, they greatly simplify the legalities of many of the things you might wish to do. ITAR being no longer required for a lot of it, but still needed for "cool" stuff like manufacture of full auto (post samples, etc) and silencers. And if you are going to go to the trouble of getting licensed, lets face it, the ability to play with post sample machine guns is a huge side benefit of that.

The downside of going that way, of course, is the record keeping/paperwork required, plus the inviting of various despised 3 letter agencies into your life.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

JKosprey wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:51 am So, if somebody had a firearm idea that they wanted to build a prototype of, how would you go about it? Obviously this would be quite expensive, and you'd need access to someone who knows their way around a CNC machine, but I assume that there's more to it than that.

It's a completely theoretical exercise for me, so here's the pitch: I think it would be super nifty to scale up something like a Marlin model 60 receiver to .357 magnum. I'm picturing a 10 round carbine roughly the length and weight of the existing lever action carbines, loading from a tube mag with a loading gate.

I assume the receiver would be the real sticking point here. If you could get that made, could you build a Frankengun from a collection of existing parts? I'm picturing say, using a tube and barrel from a Henry, or a barrel that went on via barrel nut like a Savage. I recognize that it would be complicated and extremely expensive, but would it be possible to get it made? A brief Google showed a variety of "ground up" services for bolt actions and ARs but nobody making custom actions or prototypes from the ground up.
I think Ruger already sort of did this... I had one in .44 magnum.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Precision

Post by Precision »

If you have access to machining tools, you can do whatever you want.
Getting caught...is kinda spendy in both money and incarceration time.

If you get the appropriate licenses. They run about $1500-3000 (annually)plus whatever ITAR is now a days. But if you already have the machining tools it is a great way to occupy the REST of your time (and money if you want) and have access to all KINDS of cool toys.

I have more than one friend that has done so. Yes, the paperwork sucks. Make enough to hire an admin person for that. Yes lots of 3 letter people can theoretically come over any time and harrass, but most of my friends indicate that is pretty overblown once your assigned ATF agent figures out who you are.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

It's is now 2300/yr I believe.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I'd do something completely superfluous: build Buckmark-style pistols in .25 & .32 ACP just to have plinkers in silly calibers.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

SoupOrMan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:12 am I'd do something completely superfluous: build Buckmark-style pistols in .25 & .32 ACP just to have plinkers in silly calibers.
Some European companies have made target pistols in.32 ACP in the past. Real target pistols, not just ‘Target’ versions of pocket pistols to get around the size and feature restrictions of GCA ‘68. So yes, this could be done, and I would probably buy one depending on the price.

One off-the-wall idea I’ve been thinking about is 1/10 scale working models of cannons. You could do a whole range of 3” and 75/76 mm guns and chamber them in .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, or .327 Federal to have a true 1/10 scale bore. Imagine a scale French 75 shooting .32 S&W long or one of the German anti-tank guns in .327, could be lots of fun at the range.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Captain Wheelgun wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:05 pm Some European companies have made target pistols in.32 ACP in the past. Real target pistols, not just ‘Target’ versions of pocket pistols to get around the size and feature restrictions of GCA ‘68. So yes, this could be done, and I would probably buy one depending on the price.
Hamerli 280s could swap between 22LR and . 32 S&W long, to compete in either rimfire or centerfire rapid fire competition. I think the successor design, the SP20, could swap between them as well. Both are stupidly accurate handguns, and uncommon. Both are long out of production as well.