DIY barrel rifling.

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cybrludite

DIY barrel rifling.

Post by Cybrludite »

EDM makes it doable on the cheap. Another nail in the coffin of effective gun control.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Netpackrat

Re: DIY barrel rifling.

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

With a lathe, you can gun drill a rifle barrel, then pull a button thru it...
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:50 pm With a lathe, you can gun drill a rifle barrel, then pull a button thru it...
8-)

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Amazon even sells buttons these days.

<Edit> I still don't think it's worth the headache unless you plan to make significant quantities - between Redman and TJ, you've got pretty much every pistol barrel size available.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

No but I might buy a button and try to make one for shits and grins. If I don’t mess up too bad on the die filer build I will have some extra 4140 left over.

Precision

Post by Precision »

does making your own rifled barrel run afoul of any laws, yet?
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

HTRN wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:52 pm Amazon even sells buttons these days.

<Edit> I still don't think it's worth the headache unless you plan to make significant quantities - between Redman and TJ, you've got pretty much every pistol barrel size available.
As long as they are allowed to sell them.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

So... a bench vise, a drill press, angle grinder, button, some files and some kind of hydraulic arbor press?

I do have some extra bench space between my vise and my reloading press... I could probably get Khyber Pass - level stuff on the second try.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I found there are actually a lot of rifling buttons available from a seller on Ebay, made in eastern Europe. Long delivery times, but I think they are the same ones as Mark Serbu used in his video.