Pocket Pistols?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

Pocket Pistols?

Post by Vonz90 »

So if the current crop of pocket pistols, who has one and do they like It? I like my current carry piece, but I was thinking something more smaller would be good sometimes.

I am referring to the LCP/LCP2, Bodyguard, Taurus 738, that sort of thing.
Mike OTDP

Re: Pocket Pistols?

Post by Mike OTDP »

Depends on what you mean by "pocket". My opinions:

Seecamp LWS-32 - This is the premier deep concealment gun. Good quality of manufacture, sized just bigger than a Browning Baby. One usually rides in my left front pocket. Bad news is that it's .32 ACP. Worse news is trying to find a pocket holster that won't flip upside down in your pocket.

Glock 43 - Got one of these. It's a Glock. Functional. Reasonably cheap. Trigger sucks.

Rohrbaugh R9 - No longer in production. Beautifully made, though - a Seecamp on steroids (actually, they are both based on the Cz-45). Recoil isn't painful...but forget a follow-up shot.

Kimber Evo - Metal Glock 43. Costs more. Trigger doesn't suck.

I also own a Sig P365XL, but it's too large for me to honestly consider it a pocket gun. It's more of a small holster gun.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not the current crop of pocket pistols but I like my Smith 442 a lot.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Mike OTDP wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:56 am Depends on what you mean by "pocket".
I am referring to the LCP/LCP2, Bodyguard, Taurus 738, that sort of thing.
Based on the rest of your response, it seems you understood my intent.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

I have a NAA Guardian.380. Beautiful little gun but it’s the only gun I have that recoils so hard that the trigger guard smacks my finger when it fires.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have the XDS .45, a Kimber Solo, DB9 and .380, Sig 365 and my old standbys the S&W 340 and 360PD in .357 I have been carrying for 20 years. I think best all around is the Sig 365 due to it being a Sig and high capacity. But I mostly carry the revolvers as I am at home most of the time and if I go somewhere for errands I have a car full of gear I can fall back on. Of course, road trips and circumstances depending I carry larger ordinance.

Kimber: Great pistol but you can only shoot +p in it so it can be spendy to practice with.
Diamondback DB9: Nice pistol, only feeds 115g bullets and only some holly points.
DB .380: it's tiny and cute but .380 and the slide is hard for women to work but its a deep pocket pistol. Works fine.
340/60PD: Lightest of the bunch and HOT. But I can shoot it accurately and it doesn't mind Florida or Texas heat and humidity. Plus .357! Although 5 shots.
XDS .45: Light, fitd in the pocket, 6 +1 in gods own caliber. Biggest of the bunch.
SIG 365: 10+1 capacity, feeds everything, has night sights, easy to aim and grip also had the other sigh interchangeability just on a smaller scale. Best of the bunch in my opinion and my second favorite pocket pistol. Usually when I dress up and want it flat in my pocket.

Plus a bunch of other snub noses but you get the idea.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Oh! And the NAA .22 mag revolver. Fun but I use it for snakes et al, not for serious work, but if I did it would be a contact shot.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BDK

Post by BDK »

A) I’m with CC on snub noses. My Rohrbaughs have always been reliable, but they are more very nice/discreet waistband guns than pocket guns.

B) I’ve never completely trusted a pocket semi-auto - at least, not the very small ones.

C) Only CC is crazy enough to shoot 357 mags out of a 340. The sane, such as myself, load it with gold medal wadcutters. 🤣🤣🤣
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

To explain my thought, I probably would not be carrying it in my pocket much. I am just thinking that in the summer, etc.; there are times something smaller than my PPS might be handy (PPS is about the same size as a P365)
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

I carry a Sig P938. Small but not really a pocket gun, a little too large and heavy for that, for me and how I dress. Does ride nicely in a pancake holster and disappears under a baggy t-shirt. Shoots like a much bigger gun.