Pocket Pistols?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Precision

Re: Pocket Pistols?

Post by Precision »

Of the current crop, the smith Bodyguard and the Ruger LCP II are pretty darn nice (for what they are)

My mother (severe hand arthritis) can manage all aspects of her LCP II. Her original LCP requires someone else to rack the slide and double index fingers to shoot. Very no go.
I have a Keltec P3AT. Is gun, is shoot; but the recoil is massive. Much more so than the other two mentioned, but the same footprint. I have a kydex pocket holster for it which works great or Sticky makes some good ones that keep it where you left it in anything but huge cargo pockets.

Slightly larger and better hitting are the keltec PF9 and and the DB9 (diamondback) My PF9 sucks for recoil but it eats most 124 gr JHP. The DB9 as CC stated is a lot more finicky about its diet.

If you are willing to spend the coin and spend a fair amount of ammo on break in the Sig 238 and 938 series are very good (sorta 1911's) that work well in the area you want. Kimber has similar things although a few years ago they had a lot more issues with feeding and eating well. May be resolved by now.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have a P3AT. I don't carry it anymore because at some point it decided to be, Is gun, is sometimes shoot. It's been disassembled in a ziploc bag since 2015 or so. Will probably part it out when I get around to it. Don't want to sell it intact due to the possibility that somebody decent might subsequently try to use it for self defense.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:10 pm Of the current crop, the smith Bodyguard and the Ruger LCP II are pretty darn nice (for what they are)
Those 2 are the main ones on radar, and maybe the Kahr. The main point of this was to getbthoughts on these and maybe should I think about others.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:44 pm I have a P3AT. I don't carry it anymore because at some point it decided to be, Is gun, is sometimes shoot. It's been disassembled in a ziploc bag since 2015 or so. Will probably part it out when I get around to it. Don't want to sell it intact due to the possibility that somebody decent might subsequently try to use it for self defense.
If you are willing, Keltec will fix it. Lifetime warranty. I brought them a gun that had user fault rust and got a completely new slide.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Not really worth the effort and will never trust it again anyway.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
evan price

Post by evan price »

The Beretta 950 Jetfire and 21A Bobcat are great pocket guns, but 25acp just isn't much power.
The 32 caliber Beretta has frame cracking issues.
NAA mini- magnum is also great but limited capacity and slow reload.
The Colt Vest Pocket and the Baby Browning are also great pocket guns, but again the 25acp isn't much power.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

If anyone ever shoots me with a 25 and I find out about, I'm going to be really ticked.

I've got a boatload of 25ACP though. Picked it up in a horsetrade a few years back, in a 5 gallon pail with a bunch of other odd ammo
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:22 pm If anyone ever shoots me with a 25 and I find out about, I'm going to be really ticked.

I've got a boatload of 25ACP though. Picked it up in a horsetrade a few years back, in a 5 gallon pail with a bunch of other odd ammo
Yeah, I would not pack a 25. 32 maybe but the options are smallish
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:19 am Not really worth the effort and will never trust it again anyway.
I didn’t realize that’s what happened to it. I’ve never had issues with my LCP for what it’s worth...
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

BDK wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:04 pm A) I’m with CC on snub noses. My Rohrbaughs have always been reliable, but they are more very nice/discreet waistband guns than pocket guns.

B) I’ve never completely trusted a pocket semi-auto - at least, not the very small ones.

C) Only CC is crazy enough to shoot 357 mags out of a 340. The sane, such as myself, load it with gold medal wadcutters. 🤣🤣🤣
This from the guy who did an IDPA match using a 329 with full house .44 mag loads. :lol:
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.