In praise of the K98

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

In praise of the K98

Post by Vonz90 »

My what a wonderful rifle in whatever caliber one may like. Mine is in the original 7.9x57 IS and is freaking sweat. It is a spry 77 years old now since it left the factory at Oberndorf but it still shoots like new.

It has been mine since 2001. I originally bought it as a plinker from my friend Paul (who was thinning his very extensive Mauser collaction a bit) but after some light refurbishment (lots of cleaning, touching up the bluing and repair and refinishing the stock) I realized that it was more capable than that. I put a Leopold scout scope (I did not want to permanently change the metal bits) on it and found that I was actually outshooting my Savage 110. So since 2006 it became my main hunting rifle and drops deer and a couple hogs that I've seen DRT. Shooting it just seems natural and the rounds end up where I want them, I cannot really explain it.

About 4 years ago I upgraded to a 2x7x32 Burris scout scope for the longer shot and it just keeps plugging along. A great trigger, great balance and it fits me very well (did add a recoil pad to increase length of pull a tad). If there is a down side, it is a bit heavy if I am walking a lot with it, but the weight seems to help make shooting it more smooth.

I do not have a point to all this, I just felt like posting something about my Mauser because I like it.
Gunnuts

Re: In praise of the K98

Post by Gunnuts »

I miss posts like this.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

+1
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Does anyone make a decent K98 action in LH? I'm thinking about a bolt rifle but I'm tired of making do (plus I'm left-eye dominant).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
AndytheAxe

Post by AndytheAxe »

I got a russian capture years ago, was a lot of fun but not too accurate (could hit a dude size target at 100 but not 200), sold it to a friend who collected them. Don't really miss it but glad I had it for a bit. I do miss my yugo 48, had better balance and fit me better but traded it in towards something else back in the day before the k98.
"Of All the gin joints in All the Towns in All the World... she walks into mine" ~ Rick (Humphrey Bogart)
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:21 am Does anyone make a decent K98 action in LH? I'm thinking about a bolt rifle but I'm tired of making do (plus I'm left-eye dominant).
Yes they do, but the action manufacturers cater to the safari crowd - Mayfair engineering charges approximately 4000 dollars for a 98 std action left hand. Not the whole rifle, just the action.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

AndytheAxe wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:26 am I got a russian capture years ago, was a lot of fun but not too accurate (could hit a dude size target at 100 but not 200), sold it to a friend who collected them. Don't really miss it but glad I had it for a bit. I do miss my yugo 48, had better balance and fit me better but traded it in towards something else back in the day before the k98.
Post 1943 is kind of a crap shoot and of course the treatment varies considerably even for the ones made well. My friend collected them and had a dealers licence to facilitate that, so he would buy them by the crate and keep what he wanted and sell the rest. I asked him to keep an eye out for one with a nice bore and this one was it.

The Yugos are not bad, but I have never heard anyone say theirs was a tack driver.

The Czech ones can be very good, but they all have the straight bolt
randy

Post by randy »

I have a Spanish FR-8 that is a nice little carbine. Takes standard K98 stripper clips. I need to get it out to the range again (once I score some more .308)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

HTRN wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 amYes they do, but the action manufacturers cater to the safari crowd - Mayfair engineering charges approximately 4000 dollars for a 98 std action left hand. Not the whole rifle, just the action.
Yikes. (But thanks for the information.) Well, guess I could pivot back to Schmidt-Rubin, and look high and low for the conversion kit (or just be really boring and get a Savage Axis or something).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MiddleAgedKen wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 am
HTRN wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:41 amYes they do, but the action manufacturers cater to the safari crowd - Mayfair engineering charges approximately 4000 dollars for a 98 std action left hand. Not the whole rifle, just the action.
Yikes. (But thanks for the information.) Well, guess I could pivot back to Schmidt-Rubin, and look high and low for the conversion kit (or just be really boring and get a Savage Axis or something).
Zastava seems to make them going for about $1k + or -.