Get Affordable Bulk Ammo

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Get Affordable Bulk Ammo

Post by Netpackrat »

Wasn't suggesting you should be.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:47 pm Wasn't suggesting you should be.
I was responding more to Termite's "blame" comment, grabbed yours too unfortunately.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Vonz90 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:46 pmSo people have money to spend on something and buy it. Am I supposed to be upset about this?
Present company (all hands) specifically excepted.

sings
'Cause everybody's gotta have somebody to look down on
Fool they can feel better than most any time they please
Someone doin' somethin' dirty decent folks can frown on
If you can't find nobody else then help yourself to me
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Termite

Post by Termite »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:00 amI was responding more to Termite's "blame" comment.....
I'm annoyed with the Fudds, not hating on them. They're generally decent people; problem is they are completely reactive, not proactive, when it comes to personal preparedness.......for damn near everything.

Not just firearms/ammo/personal security, I see it displayed in their general life habits.

Hurricane, ice storm, etc. Power goes out for 2-3 days, they buy a generator. After using it, they just put it in storage as-is, and it never gets touched again until the next power outage. Then it won't crank, and they're all upset. And they call guys like me to come fix their stuff.

Here's a tip for everyone here: 100LL(aviation gasoline) works just fine in most small carbureted generator engines(B&S, Kohler, Honda, etc); and it doesn't go bad for years.
NPR and TRX already know this. ;)

There's another method: use non-ethanol gasoline, add fuel stabilizer; and run the equipment every 90 days with a load on it. And don't store auto fuel, even with stabilizer, for more than a year or so. Rotate your stock.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am Hurricane, ice storm, etc. Power goes out for 2-3 days, they buy a generator. After using it, they just put it in storage as-is, and it never gets touched again until the next power outage. Then it won't crank, and they're all upset. And they call guys like me to come fix their stuff.
I did that, sort of. In 2012 we had a wind storm and I was without power for 5 days. I did have alternate heating for the house, and we lost all the refrigerated food, but beyond that and not being able to use the internet it was mostly an inconvenience. Ordered a generator right after that knowing that I wouldn't be able to get one for a while, but wanted to have one for next time. Which thus far, has not come. Keep stabilized gas in it, etc. I run it sometimes but not enough, so the starting battery is long dead, but it's a Honda so it pull starts easily enough.
Here's a tip for everyone here: 100LL(aviation gasoline) works just fine in most small carbureted generator engines(B&S, Kohler, Honda, etc); and it doesn't go bad for years.
Yeah but I have never bothered with that; I just run PRI-G stabilizer and generally rotate my storage fuel once a year. PRI-G is better than "Sta-bil" because you can generally just add more at the year mark if it's not convenient to rotate. I've had to do that with the storage gas I used to keep out at the cabin and it still burned fine in vehicles.
There's another method: use non-ethanol gasoline, add fuel stabilizer; and run the equipment every 90 days with a load on it. And don't store auto fuel, even with stabilizer, for more than a year or so. Rotate your stock.
It's worthe the trouble to seek out PRI-G for your emergency fuel. Sta-bil is available everywhere but it isn't as effective, and it's less economical also since it isn't as concentrated.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Termite wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am
Vonz90 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:00 amI was responding more to Termite's "blame" comment.....
I'm annoyed with the Fudds, not hating on them. They're generally decent people; problem is they are completely reactive, not proactive, when it comes to personal preparedness.......for damn near everything.

Not just firearms/ammo/personal security, I see it displayed in their general life habits.

Hurricane, ice storm, etc. Power goes out for 2-3 days, they buy a generator. After using it, they just put it in storage as-is, and it never gets touched again until the next power outage. Then it won't crank, and they're all upset. And they call guys like me to come fix their stuff.

Here's a tip for everyone here:
It doesn't upset me because it doesn't surprise me. Very few people plan, it is what it is.

BTW - I have a hard piped NG generator and it is the way to go. Current one is emergency loads only (lights, well, furnace) but we are thinking of getting a whole house generator later. (Not now, all extra cash going towards building the wife's business.)
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

Termite wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am
Yup... God bless 100LL!!!
randy

Post by randy »

Vonz90 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:20 pm
BTW - I have a hard piped NG generator and it is the way to go. Current one is emergency loads only (lights, well, furnace) but we are thinking of getting a whole house generator later. (Not now, all extra cash going towards building the wife's business.)
Yeah, I had CINCHOUSE convinced to spend the money to do that a few years ago, got as far as scheduling the install and they called the Gas company to notify them.

Turns out the gas lines in this 1950's neighborhood don't have enough pressure to run a generator and the furnace, which kind of defeated the purpose for winter time. I wanted to just go ahead but was overruled by CINCHOUSE.

I looked into using propane to fuel it, but as it would use so little in a year the local Propane companies would only do it if I bought the supply tank, which combined with the first fill, would have doubled the price.

The Gas company did offer to upgrade the gas service to my neighborhood, if I paid for it...
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

It's worthe the trouble to seek out PRI-G for your emergency fuel. Sta-bil is available everywhere but it isn't as effective, and it's less economical also since it isn't as concentrated.
Got any experience with their Diesel treatment?

I'm looking at getting my stash going again. Was working that pretty agressively during the 2008/9 fuel price spike. I'd make a regular Saturday or Sunday morning early run to Tecate to fill up and bring back as many as six 5 gallon jugs. Would be there at the border when they opened at 0630 and back in the line coming north in less than 30 minutes.

No savings to go south anymore. But worth it to carry cans back whenever we cross into AZ at Yuma.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

blackeagle603 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:18 pm
Got any experience with their Diesel treatment?
Nope, because I don't have anything burning diesel these days. Grew up with diesel trucks and have realized that I want nothing to do with diesel engines unless for some reason I buy a boat big enough to have an inboard. Rather deal with the hassles of rotating out gasoline.

Never really considered a permanent generator installation for a couple of reasons... First, I knew that I would be moving and I wanted to be able to take my generator purchase with me, and second, I wanted the ability to use it for other purposes should the need arise for a larger portable than the one AlaskaTRX and I had for our cabin. The Honda I bought is pretty nice, although if I had it to do over again, I would instead buy the Miller welder/generator that I also considered at that time.