Brownells' AR .22 conversion kits

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Brownells' AR .22 conversion kits

Post by Weetabix »

Does anyone have experience with Brownells' AR .22 conversion kits? A buddy linked to one that was about $214. If you assume a 25c/rd difference, it would pay for itself in about 856 rounds. That would be great for range trips with kids. Plus reduced recoil and noise for them.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Re: Brownells' AR .22 conversion kits

Post by Weetabix »

Nobody? How about ANY .22 conversion kits?
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I have one of the old USGI kits with a bunch of the white nylon 10rd mags; it runs fine for about 70 or 80 rounds before the funk builds up to a point where it starts hanging up. Accuracy at 50 yards is around "minutes of beer can" (2"-4") LOL but a lot of fun. Cleanup takes a little longer than usual but not too difficult.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
randy

Post by randy »

I have one of the USGI kits as well (bought in the 80s). Using black metal mag inserts. Accuracy was meh, and of course the sights set for a 55gr 5.56 battle zero were off for .22LR. Reliability was crap. I haven't had it out for years.

Still a good way to play for cheap.

At a Scout Camporee on Schofield Barracks the MP shop provided several M-16s with the .22LR adapters for the kids to play with on the rifle range. It was 1 on 1 supervision with us giving the kids 1 round at a time to keep the BSA happy, but they enjoyed shooting real live "army guns".
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'd heard that the USGI kits weren't great. My thinking was that if there's a newer kit from CMMG (I think), they've probably ironed out some of the issues with the older kits.

I may have to get one and just see what happens.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

I have a couple of the CMMG drop in converters with the 25 round "MAD DOG" mags and unless you hit a dud they have worked a treat. I clean them every once in a while and shoot a couple of rounds down the barrel to clean it after. I think I have over 10k rounds between them by now. It *can* leave a tad of lead deposit but that's why you clean your weapons.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.