used .22 revolver

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
George K

Re: used .22 revolver

Post by George K »

The Heritage revolvers received (if I remember correctly) a solid BUY from Gun Tests magazine a few years ago. The ones that I have seen in the gun shop were good looking and well fit. I have not handled any for a while, so no telling what is coming off the production line now.
+1 on the Ruger, your grand kids will appreciate it.
Stay away from the Comanche I alloy revolvers! I got one to evaluate, and they just suck…
My reviews on the Comanche are here: Part 1 Part 2
oneshot

Post by oneshot »

The finish on the Heratige Arms is not the greatest. It is painted on, not a blueing process. This cuases it to chip after some use ( only on the reciver- the barrel is buled). It doesnt really affect the function but may look tacky. The trigger is very crisp and very (dare i say it)comparable with the Rugers. A fine gun and cheap buy if you don't need it to be a herloom.
1911Man

Post by 1911Man »

The Heritage seems to work well, but it has a freakin' safety. What kind of schmuck puts a saftey on a revolver? I have one with both the LR and WMR cylinders. We sold a bunch when I worked at a gunshop. We only had a couple come back for minor repairs.

The Ruger is one your grandchildren will enjoy.

I have been searching all over for a DA .22 LR. They tell me that used are almost non-existent. Taurus has .17 HMR out the butt, but .22LR is like hens teeth. I've handled the S&W titanium (Airweight, Featherweight, or whatever). It was really light, but single action trigger was 5 lbs and the DA was like 12. It sucked mightily. There's a High Standard 9-shot at a local auction that I've been looking at. The Auction is at the end of the month.

If you run across an old RG snubbie, don't be fooled. They're made in Germany, but their throw-downs. They're aluminum with steel sleeves pressed in the cylinder and barrel. I think the English translation of Rohm GmbH is Real Garbage.
My ideas are mine. You go out and get your own!
Whirlibird

Post by Whirlibird »

HTRN wrote:Yeah, a single six is probably your best bet. On the other hand, if you want a really, really nice 22RF revolver, I'd say go for a K22 "Masterpiece", just be sitting down when you hear the price.

HTRN
I have to agree, the K-22's (aka M-17) and Model 18's are one of the best teaching handguns for those inclined towards wheelguns. The ability to use both SA and DA trigger systems as well as varied grip shapes and sizes puts the K-22 heads above the competition.

If you can find a used but not abused older K-22 you won't go into heart failure quite as fast.
(Not quite as fast) But one will outlast you and your grandchildren.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =107554084
btd

Post by btd »

I want a good, double action .22LR revolver because I expect to shoot it at least as much as any other gun I own.

I'm currently saving up for a used Smith K-22, or a Smith J-frame "kit gun." I'd also buy a Colt DA .22 if the condition were right (shooter grade: used but not abused) and I had the money when I found it.

I've shot an RG .22LR double action revolver extensively in the past. Nothing bad happened at all, but I concur with previous posters: I wouldn't buy one for my purposes. "Throw down gun" is an apt term.
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

The most fun I've ever had with any pistol was with... well, a Glock 18. But for pistols that can be shot without needing go go through a mountian of paperwork, the second amont of most fun I've ever had was with a S&W 617 .22 with the 6" bbl. I spent an afternoon borrowing a co-worker's at a plinking range. Fun, fun, fun- from doing my best to empty the thing asap ala Jerry Miculek to blasting cans 20 yards away, I just could not get enough. And sadly, the gun's owner would not part with it.

And good luck ever finding one (I've tried).
Precision

Post by Precision »

well at least I am not the only one who can't find one of these.

I will probably not get the Ruger single six, just on price. That's an AK. But I will keep looking and it certainly isn't a must buy anytime soon so....

thanks for the heads up on the "DON'T BUY GUNS".
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'd think you could find a Single Six new for $300 or so, used for the mid $200s.

Somebody posted on the old forum about the bore diameter of the Single Six, I forget the details, but it was too big, IIRC. I had a stainless Single Six with 7" barrel, I think, and rosewood grips, got it on sale at Galyan's before they became Dick's. Beautiful pistol but it wouldn't shoot worth a darn for me. I wound up selling it for $285, as I recall. The new owner is happy with it, maybe it was just me...
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

I would love to have a K-22 Masterpiece like the one my father had, but right now I'm changing jobs and have NO disposable income, and precious little NON-disposable income. Maybe some day. Probably not soon. I really like the Rugers, although I have also heard their accuracy is not great. I would rather wait and get the one I really want.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I have both a model 17 and a kitgun. Neither were inexpensive. Both are wonderful pieces.

On a tight budget? Check out the poor man's Smith and Wesson option. LINK/Example
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story