The Coolest Rifle I've Seen In A While-Pfeifer SR2

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
slowpoke

Re: The Coolest Rifle I've Seen In A While-Pfeifer SR2

Post by slowpoke »

Darrell wrote:
Greg wrote:
Flintlock Tom wrote:I'm having trouble visualizing a 26" barrel and only a 27.5" OAL.
Manually load a single round through the back of the butt-stock?
And, a 2 round magazine?
The back of the buttstock is the 'breech block' and swings open, so you can manually load a round. Yep, it's a single shot. The striker is under the barrel and travels *rearward* when released, and it hits a rocker that has a nub on it to hit the primer. They've really gone to some trouble to minimize overall length.
This. If you bother to follow links in the original post, the owner says the rifle has a very crisp (unbullpup-like) 1.1 lb pull. I agree that it's not the handsomest gun in the world--that thumbhole stock looks like something from an old Norinco SKS. Consider, though, that all the business end of the action is in that last 1 1/2" of the stock. I think it's rather ingenious. Strictly speaking, is it a bullpup at all?
It in fact is quit neer the original bullpups, which were target rifles as well.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Netpackrat wrote:That's certainly... different.
And by "different" you mean "ugly" :ugeek:
First Shirt wrote:I saw a puppy once that was a cross between a wire-haired dachsund and a French bulldog.

It wasn't that ugly.
It brings to mind the phrase "looks like a bag of smashed assholes"
D5CAV wrote:This looks like a solution in search of a problem.
It looks like a marketing gimmick. And I yet to see the appeal of a bullpup rifle - horrible ergos, brings the muzzle closer to your face(you haven't lived till you've shot one of the braked bullpup 50s. Loud doesn't BEGIN to cover it), and universally horrible triggers.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Weird , not sure if is worth the trouble.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
C0re

Post by C0re »

I know this is an OLD thread. Just stumbled across it. Very little information on these out there.

Anyone know anything regarding the pain involved in importing one of these to the US?

Thanks!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

D5CAV wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:08 am This looks like a solution in search of a problem.
Most of these innovations are. When was the last time you saw something truly new and innovative coming out of Shotshow? Last I can think of was the Laugo Alien, and that was what? 3 years ago? And it's a relatively niche firearm(IPSC race gun).
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

I guess the concept could make sense for hunting - maybe more so with an integrated suppressor.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

D5CAV wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:08 am This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Bullpups have their place, but the only one I like is the Steyr AUG. It is the only one with a slightly less sucky trigger than every other bullpup, and they all have sucky triggers, just some slightly less sucky than others. The Tavor trigger really sucks; it reminds me of the VP70 trigger.

Kel-Tec managed to design a reasonably good trigger for their .308 bullpup rifle, but it is a very complicated rube-goldberg-esque mechanism to get it to work over that travel distance. I suspect this trigger is of a similar design.

Problems I see with this rifle:
1. the trigger has to be complicated to work in a bullpup design - complicated and reliable are difficult to mix.
2. I'm OK with a 5.56 NATO round under my cheek with the extensive failure testing done by Steyr for the Austrian military, and almost 40 year history of the rifle. I'm not OK with a .300 Win Mag round under my cheek when I pull the trigger, especially with a new, untested design. I'm guessing Mr. Pfeifer didn't intentionally try to blow up his gun with a double charged .300 WM round, like Steyr did (many times).
3. This would be yet another rifle I have to check local gun regs before I put in the truck. I know it won't meet minimum length rules in the PRK.
To your point of number 2, it is a European weapong and they can't even sell it without a proofed barrel which IIRC is 3x load in each one before its sold.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.