Win Model 70 push feed to CRF?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
D5CAV

Win Model 70 push feed to CRF?

Post by D5CAV »

I have an old push feed Win Model 70 that I got when I was a lot poorer (not a lot of money in it). All my other Win Model 70s are CRF, so this one sits in the back of the safe these days.

Question for the gunsmiths out there:
How much would it cost me to get it converted to CRF?
What is involved in the process?

TIA
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Candyman

Re: Win Model 70 push feed to CRF?

Post by Candyman »

New bolt and action would be needed.
I prefer CRF over push feed.
An old Gunsmith once told me that you really only need CRF in you plan the work the action while hanging upside down.
:lol:
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Can the old action be modified? If not, then may as well sell it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Even as a pre-64 M70 addict. I gotta admit the push feed M70's are underrated. Most are very good shooting rifles. .

What caliber is yours?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

The original Model 70s are the controlled-round feed, with actions based off of the Mauser 1898 design, correct? Or am I mixing it up with another company's action?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

All good points.

Personally, it sounds to me like you've already got crf rifle, so this one's either good as is or saleable if it means nothing to you... Personally, I can't see much chance of being stuck with that rifle and needing to shoot upside-down.

I'm from the "never sell a gun" camp, so...

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

blackeagle603 wrote:Even as a pre-64 M70 addict. I gotta admit the push feed M70's are underrated. Most are very good shooting rifles. .

What caliber is yours?
It is a good shooting rifle. It's just that all my other M70s are CRF rifles (mostly pre-64). This one is a long-action (not very common) with a .300 Wby Mag barrel.

Since it's a long action, I thought it might be worthwhile turning it into a DG rifle, like .375 H&H, .416 Rem Mag or .458 Lott.

If that's not possible, then I'm done with it. My other .30 cal rifles are .308, .30-06, .300WM and .300UM. I don't need a .300 Wby Mag, and this one is my only rifle in .300 Wby Mag.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

The Claw action Model 70 is probably the best CRF mass produced action ever made. Yes, I think it's even better than the original Model 98 design.

The Dakota 76 is basically a refinement of the Model 70 action - Improved breeching system(handles case ruptures better), larger Camming surface, better method of manufacture, etc.

That said, like Chris said, they're far more temperamental in regards to feeding, tend to much more expensive(you can get extremely high quality clones of the model 700 action for under 1200 dollars. Go look and see what a 76, Empire, GMA, or Waffenfabrik Hein(Now defunct) gets. About the only affordable CRF aftermarket action is Montana, and they're doing it the same way Ruger is - they're investment casting the receivers, vs. Milling them from barstock.(Don't get me wrong - I'm seriously considering building my .550 project on one, depending on whether or not I can get a decent express stock cut for one - CZ sells theirs).

And oh. Push feeds are more accurate.

Both designs have their place - I wouldn't own a DGR gun that didn't have a claw, nor would I own a varminter that wasn't a push feed.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Old Time Shooter

Post by Old Time Shooter »

Model 70's with the Push Feed bolts were only used from 1964 to 1968. Almost all inventory has been depleted for any bolt assemblies. If you have a Push Feed model 70 I would definitely would not modify it. They are very good shooting rifles. I am currently looking for a PH L/A bolt and I can not find one anywhere. If anybody knows where I can find one I could use a good reference and/or a good lead.

Bob E
Old Time Shooter

Post by Old Time Shooter »

Looking for a PF L/A bolt.